Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Chinese New Year Cookies

I have succumbed to peer pressure. Have you seen cookies from Little Corner, Peony's, singairishgirl...etc? How can I NOT feel it? There are cookies EVERYWHERE.

All those pineapple tarts, peanut cookies, cornflake cookies... wow. Those ladies were hard at work for tomorrow's big day. On top of that, AR looked at me with those eyes and said... "no cookies?"

Alright, I got the message. =)


Almond Cookies


My grandma loves this and so does AR (ironically, his name rhymes with almonds). It's an amazing recipe because I got a non-baking friend to make this. So proud of her. Apparently she said I'm not making them fast enough for her. Still contemplating setting up a small cookie business online when the demand calls for it. I'm sharing this recipe here because I think good things deserve to be shared but if anyone would like to place an order in Perth, let me know *wink*

makes about 80 cookies

250grams of silvered almonds
450 grams of plain flour
225 grams of icing sugar
260 grams of peanut oil
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Egg wash- 1 egg yolk.

Preheat oven to 150C. Toast almonds. Reserve 50grams for garnishing.

In a mixing bowl, mix plain flour, icing sugar, baking powder, soda and salt together. Add in corn oil and almonds. Knead to make dough.

Shape dough and brush with egg wash. Press some reserved almonds on it. Bake for 20-25 minutes till brown.

Cornflakes Dark Choc Cookies


Now this is a different twist to the usual cornflake cookies you see on the market. It's on the chewy side instead of crispy. The original recipe calls for white chocolate but I'm really not a big fan of it. I mean, white chocolate is not the real stuff! So... i used dark chocolate instead.

Having said that, I think white chocolate might give this more of an edge than dark though.

oh! I couldn't find glace cherries in time so I didn't include them in. I threw in a handful of cranberries instead.

makes about 60 cookies

2 eggs
3/4 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp of vanilla essence
1/2 cup of olive oil
150grams of dark chocolate chopped coarsely
handful of cranberries (use raisins if u like)
1 cup of plain flour
3/4 cup of self raising flour
1/2 tsp of bicarb
about 2 cups of crushed cornflakes.

Whisk eggs and sugar in a bowl till combined. Add in essence and oil, chocolate and dry ingredients. Fold it all in. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hr (I left if overnight though...).

Preheat oven to 180C. Prepare baking trays.

Roll spoonful of mixture into balls. Coat them with cornflakes, place them on tray and flatten slightly. Bake for about 15 minutes. Stand cookies for 5 minutes before transferring them to wire racks to cool.



Tonight is CNY EVE. To my readers, family and friends-

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!

May the new year bring prosperity, wealth and most importantly, GOOD HEALTH!

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's come too fast! (CNY, that is) Happy CNY to you and your loved ones!!

Anonymous said...

hi Daphne...happy CNY to you, everytime i visit asian bloggers i see lots of CNY cookies and delicacies :)

SIG said...

Finally! Haha. At last got some cny bakes. Just puts u in the mood even though you can't be home. Love the lemon chicken too. Happy New Year, dear girl.

Lady Gargle said...

My darling Daphne, Happy Chinese New Year *HUGS* :) Thanks for all your lovely comments.

tigerfish said...

Gong xi fa cai, daphne :)
Almond cookies are one of my fav CNY cookies.

culinaryprincess said...

Happy Chinese New year to u and AR!!I've never heard of chocolate in cornflake cookies but it looks good. I made a batch of cornflake cookies myself a few days back for my chinese frens too :)

Retno Prihadana said...

Happy Chinese New Year! I want ur cookies....please send me some :))

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Happy CNY to u as well dear ! these cookies look yummy.

Rita Sella said...

Gong xi fa cai....
I've seen you had 'the spreader of love award' I sent you one more anyway xixixiix

Xiu Long Bao said...

Happy CNY to you :)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Happy New Year!

I'll place an order but by the time it arrives, the cookies will probably be hard and moldy. :P

I've never heard of cornflake cookies before. Is this an Australian thing?

bossacafez said...

daph! happy new year to you too, your cookies look VERY delicious. hv a great holiday *hugs*

Anonymous said...

Wow! the cookies sure looks good. It will be great to have them around during CNY.

Happy Chinese New Year!

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Yummy cookies!

Gong Xi Fatt Chai!!!

Big Boys Oven said...

Hey babe! Gong Xi Fat Cai! May the year of rat brings you lots of fortune and good health!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice CNY cookies!

Wishing you & AR:

Xin Nian Kuai Le!
Sheng Ti Jian Kang!
Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Sugar Bean said...

Happy Chinese New Year to you and your family! Wishing you all the best in this new year. Stay healthy, wealthy and happy!

Anonymous said...

Your cookies looks so very good! Happy New Year to you and your family!

daphne said...

Happy Lunar New Year to everyone too!!!

Wandering chopsticks- Cornflake cookies are a staple for CNY in asian countries so I don't think it is an aussie item. Probably an Eurasian item actually. Still, it's yummy! hehee..has a crunch to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...