Monday, August 18, 2008

Ginger Chicken

Every monsoon season, my grandmother will cook this dish in Singapore (other than for other ladies going through confinement). Ginger is known to increase blood circulation and keeps the body warm-so it is perfect for the rainy season. When the rain starts falling in Perth and the cold sets in, I automatically crave for my Grandmother's ginger chicken.

Unfortunately I'm unable to locate "wine biscuit" that is required to make the alcohol for Ginger chicken. I did, however, managed to purchase a bottle of ginger wine. It's not as strong as the real thing and it is towards the sweeter side. Beggars can't be choosy and this is as close as what I can get so I'm not complaining! =)

As I was about to dish this up for dinner, I realized that I forgot the wood ear mushrooms! Oh well, there is always a next time.

Ginger Chicken
(serves 4)
6 Chicken Drumsticks
1 cup of ginger wine
6 slices of ginger
1/4 cup of stock
oil

1) Heat oil in pan. Fry ginger slices till fragrant. Turn heat to high and add chicken. Quickly brown chicken.

2) Turn heat to low. Add ginger wine and stock. Cover and simmer for 30-40 minutes till meat turns tender. (add wood ear mushrooms)

3) Serve with hot rice and vegetables.

15 comments:

Noob Cook said...

I love everything with ginger ... this is comfort food at its best!

Babe_KL said...

a very tummy warming dish indeed, yums!

SIG said...

Ginger is great! I love that. What's wine biscuit? You should have told me. My sis just went home this morning.

Unknown said...

my all time favorite comfort food! :) (yeah i have so many favorite kekeke)

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

Yummy! I've always liked ginger chicken. Almost makes me wish I were pregnant. Almost. hahaha.

Chibog in Chief said...

chicken and ginger are my fave combo, specially when topped on rice! yummy

RecipeGirl said...

Interesting ingreds... wine biscuit and wood ear mushrooms! I don't know if we would find that around here. Looks like a comforting meal though- yum!

Deborah said...

What a simple, yet delicious sounding recipe!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

One of my favorite chicken dishes! YUM!

Little Inbox said...

Ginger wine? Hmm...Seems new to me. My mom never use it in her cooking. She just use the rice wine.

Camemberu said...

Ah heartwarming comfort food! One of the ingredients has to be "grandma's love"!

Tom Aarons said...

Hi Daphne! It's a rainy Tuesday and this looks perfect!

I was trying out cooking with ginger alcohols a few months ago and as well as Stones green ginger wine, I used reduced and sweetened alcoholic ginger beer. It was also Stones brand I think, in a stubby from a bottle shop. It might be worth a try for this.

daphne said...

noobcook-I agree!!

babe_Kl- I think yours look better!

sig- i dont think can bring over? I'm not sure myself! Grandma buys it frm the herb shop..

mocha-u do! hahahaa. Me too!

lyrical- sooo.. baby coming up? =)

dhanggit-esp when it is cold!

recipe girl-ooo... I'm sorry. I'm so used to these that I totally forgot to explain the ingredients. But the woodear mushrooms hv a slight crunchy texture and will soak up the sauce!

deb-thanks

little corner-^5 prob too warm for the states now.

little inbox-I use rice wine in other dishes too. i love it!

camemberu- U got that right 100%!

tom-Yes! I use the Stones green ginger brand! I didnt know there is a beer version as well. That's excellent news. Will give it a go! Thanks!!

tigerfish said...

Wine biscuit? What's that?
At least you manage to get ginger wine. I don't even know if this is avail in SGP! :O

Jude said...

Such a simple recipe. I like it already.
I have to look up what a wine biscuit is.
wood ear or not, these look great.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...