Sunday, August 09, 2009

Date and Walnut Loaf


There are some recipes that stays with you forever. The "I always count on it when I need something" sort of recipes. This Date and Walnut Loaf is probably one of the first "cake/loaf" recipe that I have tried. I can't exactly remember where I get it from-probably from a very old Food Ideas Recipes Magazine that I was very fond of 7 years ago (Until the raise their prices).

When I look back at my posts, I realized I have not once blogged about this! Sometimes, you take old test and trusted recipes for granted.. Shame on me!

So here we go:
Date and Walnut Loaf

250 grams pitted dates roughly chopped
1 1/3 cups of water
3/4 cups of brown sugar
100grams melted butter
2 eggs
2 cups self raising flour
1 tsp of mixed spice
1 cup walnuts chopped

Line loaf pan with baking paper. Preheat Oven 180C.

Place dates and water in saucepan. Cook stiring occassionally for 5 minutes or until water comes to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 5 minutes.

Stir sugar, butter and eggs into dates. Sift flour and mixed spice into mixture and fold to combine. Fold in walnuts.

Spoon mixture into pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes till skewer comes out clean. Stand for 5 minutes before turning into a rack to cool.

Slice- I usually have mine just like that but hubby sometimes like to spread a little butter on it.

8 comments:

very culinary said...

I love a basic cake/bread with fruit and nuts. My grandmother used to make fig bread with figs from her garden and that was so delicious. This sort of reminds me of that.

I want this right now!

~Christine~Leng said...

i've never tried any cookies with dates in them! it's unique i think :) nice...

Little Corner of Mine said...

Mmmm...looks good and healthy! My kids don't seem to like nut in cake, what a pity.

Big Boys Oven said...

Just can't wait to make a date with your date & walnut loaf, just awesome!

Cynthia said...

Nice. With a cup of tea this would do me just right.

Little Inbox said...

Who cares about how old the recipe is? As long as it turn out great, right? :)

daphne said...

very culinary-figs! YUM! I would love to experiment with that too.

Christine- I love dates! It's healthy too.

little corner- oh really? that is a pity! hubby love nuts in our cakes and cookies.

big boys oven- you are always welcome over at our place! when r u guys coming to perth?

cynthia- thanks for dropping by despite being so busy!!

little inbox- so true!

ai wei said...

date in loaf?
a healthy one. wondering how it taste...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...