Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Roasted Pumpkin and Garlic Feta Dip



I have been experimenting with a few dips recently. A light bulb moment occurred when I was standing at the aisle of the supermarkets trying to find a dip with the least fat and preservatives. I realised then, that most of these dips are vege based and could be easily blended at home.


This was actually inspired by a chickpea/pumpkin dip that I bought a few months ago. Having a chat with my colleagues one day about myself trying to experiment with pumpkin as a dip, one colleague mentioned roasting the pumpkin while the other suggested using some roast garlic as well. For seasoning, I decided to use feta and abit of paprika.

The result was a sweet and tasty dip. Healthy too since I used only 2 tsp of the grapeseed oil from the feta cheese. The rest was lemon juice. I love how the feta and garlic added the flavour without over-powering it. I love this feta especially as it was bought from at one of my favorite market place Kalamanda Markets.


A bonus is the vibrant colour that this dip has. The roasted pumpkin and garlic releases it sweet flavours and showed of its bright shiny orange! Garlic is said to have its antioxidant properties whereas pumpkin is full of vitamin C. Hopefully this is a far healthier dip than we can buy from the markets.

Roasted Pumpkin and Garlic Feta Dip 
500 grams of Butternut pumpkin
2 big knobs of garlic seperated and scattered on the oven tray

Roast these on a baking tray 30 minutes on 180 heat.

Roasted garlic and pumpkin
20 grams of feta cheese
juice of 1 lemon
2 tsp of grapeseed oil
3 tsp of paprika
cracked pepper

Peel skin of garlic. Whiz all ingredients in blender for 30 seconds. Taste test and then adjust pepper accordingly. You may not need salt as feta is salty.

I'm sharing this with Weekend Herb Blogging this week. I have been waiting to participate in this event more regularly and this is my chance! This week it is hosted by Graziana from Erbe in Cucina.






Photobucket

10 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Definitely healthier than store bought. I hardly eat dip at all.

tigerfish said...

Ingenious dip!

Joanne said...

This is the kind of dip that I would be eating out of the container. With a spoon. Delicious!

pigpigscorner said...

Not a huge fan of veg but I love veg dips!

Noob Cook said...

This looks darn good, I can eat this on its own.

seemie said...

I love dips but I never made one with pumpkin, I have to try your recipe! Thank you for joining to WHB.
Graziana
http://www.erbeincucina.it/

Mary Bergfeld said...

Daphne, this looks wonderful. This is the type of dip I like to serve. It's different and sounds delicious. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Unknown said...

That is a delectable dip, Daphne - I can see myself using this recipe - Thanks for sharing

daphne said...

Little corner- me too! but slowly getting into the habit! darn!

tigerfish- thanks!

Jo-how did u know? that was exactly what i did.

pigspigscorner-yes! a great way to add vege in diet.

noobcook- thanks!

seemie- my pleasure!

Mary- thanks mary!

Now Serving- Certainly hope u will like it too. =)

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

Never make any dip before, yours sound so healthy and good. Maybe I should try next time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...