Friday, March 25, 2011

Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

A good carrot cake should always be paired with cream cheese frosting. It should never go without it. Maybe it is my excuse for licking my fingers while completing the icing of the cake. Or perhaps another reason for me to try practicing pipping again. Nevertheless, I love a good carrot cake with cream cheese frosting.

Afteralll, isn't carrot cake suppose to be the healthy cake of all cakes. It increases your vege intake with carrots and in this version- it even has pineapples, a fruit in it! So surely some cream cheese frosting will be fine! ;)

If there is any cake that I have sentimental value towards, it would be carrot cake. When we were dating, Hubby would buy a slice of carrot cake for me whenever I am sick and whingy. It's also a cake that we chose for our wedding cake. Something slightly unusual from the norm fruit cake selection but one that held meaning to us.


It was 2009 when I last made carrot cake! I love how fruity this cake is and how easy it is. I am not sure where I got this recipe from, I found it in my folder with no mention of anything! How frustrating!!

It's definitely a recipe to keep for those "oh gosh, someone is coming and I need to bake something" moments.

Carrot Cake 
150 or 3 medium sized carrots grated
120 grams plain flour
60 grams walnuts toasted and chopped
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp of ground cinnamon 
2 eggs
50 grams brown sugar 
20 grams white sugar
pinch salt
120 grams olive oil
1 generous tablespoon of plain yogurt- I used greek style 
1 tablespoon of lemon juice and zest
180 grams of cubed pineapple cubes

Cream cheese
Two tubs of Philadelphia cream cheese spreadable (I used a 5% fat and 80% less fat version)
3/4 cup of icing sugar
1/.2 lemon juice

Preheat Oven and line loaf pan.

Beat eggs till frothy. Add both sugar and beat till light in colour. Add yogurt and continue to whisk. Add in oil and lemon juice.

Fold in shifted folour, baking powder, soda, salt and cinnamon. Fold in grated carrots, walnuts, pineapple cubes and zest. Pour batter into loaf tin and bake for around 45-50 minutes.

Remove from oven. Cool completely before icing.

Icing- Whisk icing ingredients together till all sugar is incorporated and mixture is slightly stiff. Spoon into pipping bag with tip and pipe onto cool cake.



Photobucket

9 comments:

Missy said...

wow! Y didn't I think of that carrot cake and cream cheese frosting. one word YUM!

Peace
Missy
http://throughanindielens.blogspot.com/

Kitchen Belleicious said...

No joke- if I could have one dessert other than my precious precious chocolate chip cookies it would be carrot cake loaded and soaked in cream cheese icing! Love this!

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

I love carrotcake even on it's own, with cream cheese frosting is just heavenly :)

pigpigscorner said...

I agree, frosting is a must!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

I also recently just realized that carrot cake and cream cheese are the best combo!

Joanne said...

Believe it or not, carrot cake is actually my favorite kind of cake! And yes cream cheese frosting is a MUST. I love that this was your wedding cake flavor!

The Sudden Cook said...

Looks great! The cream cheese especially.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lovely! I like my cake without the icing too. :P

daphne said...

Missy- oh thanks!

jessica- We r on the same page for sure!

pigpigscorner- exactly!!

Sonia- ;)

Joanne- It is sooo wrong to go without it isnt it?

The sudden cook- thanks!

Ching- yeah!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...