Thursday, June 07, 2012

Broccoli With Chicken Soup






I am finding it such a challenge to make green soup looks more appealing in photos. It looks like slush to me! I can assure you however, that I am having fun blitzing vegetables into soup and adding chicken or other forms of meat into it. It's such a quick and easy meal to have on a rainy night.

Plus, I cook them in BIG batches. Yes, I'm not sure how my hubby puts up with me on this, but he is now used to having soup for 4 meals in a row. Luckily, he hasn't turned green yet! This is what happens when life gets a little crazy sometimes! Hey, a meal is better than no meal right? ;P

Broccoli remains one of my favourite vegetables as I do like the crunch factor. In a soup, I love how it makes the soup feels thicker without the need to add cream or milk. It is almost like a jazz up version of a chicken and vegetable soup. I used a store bought roasted chook which means, all I needed to do is to tear the meat from the chicken and toss it through the soup when it simmers for the last 15 or so minutes.

I also think it is a good way to use left over vegetables. I made another similar version using baby spinach leaves but with cumin and basil. Certainly no one batch of soup tastes the same!

Broccoli with Chicken Soup (makes enough to freeze!)
2 heads of broccoli
2 red onion chopped
2 chili padi chopped
3 tablespoons of garlic
2 zuchinni chopped
3 red capsicum chopped
4 carrots chopped
2 litre of chicken stock
1 litre of water
1 roasted chicken with meat removed

Saute onion, chill and garlic till soft. Add in all veges and cook till it softens. Add stock and simmer. When done, blitz it up in a blender. Return to pot, add chicken and simmer for another 15-20 mins. Season, taste and season again. Serve hot!





Photobucket

9 comments:

armand said...

A meal at home is always better than take away :) Nothing wrong with green!!

-hubby

lena said...

i always wanted to try blitzing veggies to make soup, i hvnt tried that before ..i might start off with doing pumpkin first:) If your husband complains, ask him to fix his own meal! LOL!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

This soup sound really healthy, I wish one day I can make this soup for my kids after they know how to appreciate veggie soup.

Anonymous said...

Just the right dish for a hot summer day.

WokandSpoon said...

Slush sure - but yummy healthy slush! I need to eat green slush more often! A good way to use up that yellowing flowering broccoli that I have in the fridge.

tigerfish said...

I agree! A meal is better than no meal! and yes, if my hubby complains, I will ask him to fix his own. Hahah!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

delicious, a comforting, heart warming meal perfect for any day of the week

Little Corner of Mine said...

I liked your healthy soup. I also LOL at your a meal is better than no meal right? :D Yes, I agreed! :)

rosi said...

I really like this blog is a great pleasure to read something new and interesting .
Referencement site web maroc

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...