Monday, January 18, 2010

Simple Okonomiyaki

Growing up, watching "Fang Tai" cook in our television screen is the norm. What I used to be amazed, was the amount of oil she seemed to have on hand. There was always a wok filled with oil ready for deep frying- and how nearly EVERY dish required deep frying!

Mum and I went shopping one day at OG (2 years ago maybe?), and I spotted "Fang Tai"'s  Quick and Easy Meals cookbook. I flipped through and surprise surprise, the dishes featured were alot healthier than what was before.

This simple Okonomiyaki caught my attention because it is what it says, simple. I never did associated the word simple with Okonomiyaki, so it was nice to know that it can be replicated in the small kitchen.

Funny enough, in the cooking instructions, it says add water but now where did it state how much water to add to the batter. I went with my "gut feeling" and added it till it becomes a semi thick batter that we can pour easily using a ladle.




Simple Okonomiyaki 
3/4 cup of flour
1/2 cabbage shredded
mushrooms
1 packet of ham
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tbsp oil
around 1 cup of water
Teriyaki sauce
Mayo

Salt and pepper

Sieve flour and baking powder, add water and mix into batter. Put oil and seasoning. Mix well and set aside for 20 mins. Fold all veges and ham in batter.
Heat oil in pan. pour small ladle of batter into pan, flip after around 5 mins. Serve with teriyaki sauce and mayo!

10 comments:

Little Corner of Mine said...

Nice and simply enough. Looks good.

ai wei said...

this one is looking simple! i tot we can only find okonomiyaki from jap restaurant. now i learn how to make one. thanks ya

Noob Cook said...

I didn't know "fang tai" has non deep-frying dishes hehehe ... and she can cook Japanese?!

SIG said...

I love this new look on your blog. :) Very elegant. :)

daphne said...

Little corner- thanks!!!

Aiwei- ya, I miss the ones in the jap restaurant too!

Noobcook- I know! hahaha, she has transformed! ;p

Deb- thanks!!! =)

Unknown said...

yums! i just had a bad one in a food court the other day. i wanna try making this myself, thanks for posting the recipe :D

tigerfish said...

I have not watched Fang Tai for the longest time now! And hardly will I associate her with Jap cooking :O

Aimei said...

Thanks for posting this recipe. I love to eat okonomiyaki! I also grew up watching Fang Tai!

Little Inbox said...

Sounds simple to make the okonomiyaki. :)

daphne said...

rita- u r welcomed!

Tigerfish- hahaa. Me too! That will be the last thing on my mind

aimei- Fang tai is classic man!

little inbox- surprisingly, it wasnt as hard as what i thought it would be.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...