Friday, July 02, 2010

Anzac Cookies

I am horrified to know that I have not posted these cookies before. You know there are some recipes that you thought you have (because u frequently make them?) but actually never did?

Well, it happened to me!

I came to know about Anzac Cookies in my first year in Australia. I learned that these are the cookies wives used to make to send overseas to their husbands who were in battle (WW1). I learned how they experimented with "cheap" ingredients but yet coming up with something that will last the months and months of shipping until the cookies reach their destination.

Nowadays though, I just like the golden crunch of these cookies. I used to make them without coconut. Especially when I was single. But have since re introduce coconut in these cookies again.

Anzac Cookies (around 40 cookies) 
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of rolled oats
1 cup of coconut
115 grams of butter
2 tablespoon of golden syrup
2 tablespoon of boiling water
1 tsp of carb soda

Line biscuit tray with baking paper. Combine dry ingredient sin a big mixing bowl. Melt butter, golden syrup in micowave. COmbine water and soda. Add to the butter mixture. Pour wet ingredients to dry. Fold in. Drop tsp of mixture onto tray. Bake for 10-15 minutes.

7 comments:

SIG said...

Wow, this looks simple. I've not baked biscuits in a long while. And I have oats to clear so when I am not lazy, hopefully this weekend. :)

SIG said...

Sorry Daph, when you took away the coconut, did u have to ass another cup of oats? I don't like dessicated coconut or dry coconut of any sort.

Babe_KL said...

LOL actually your first para also apply to me! Loved oaty cookies.

daphne said...

hey SIG- SMART! U r very right. I replaced the coconut with 1 extra cup of oats.

Babe_Kl- I am so glad I am not the only one!

Kenny Mah said...

Delicious and healthy - YUMS! (And I love oats, yay!)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Is this crunchy or soft and chewy type? Looks great.

tigerfish said...

All I knew from the start is I always saw ANZAC cookies in Aus or NZ...never knew the story behind them :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...