Thursday, September 01, 2011

Three Nut Birthday Cake



 What did I do when I completed my 30 day no sugar and sauces challenge? I baked!


It was a friend's birthday and I had the luxury of baking him and a few friends his birthday cake this year. I kept it really simple though and chose a recipe from Belinda Jeffery's Mix and Bake Book. I thought it was interesting as the cake featured a crust and then the filling itself. Upon looking at the ingredients and method of baking, I imagined the cake to have a macaroon like texture which was what it exactly turned out to be.

I drizzled some melted dark lindt chocolate in a zig zag motion (as recommended by Belinda Jefferys), and I have to say it turned out looking terrific!

Three Nut Birthday Cake

Crust
120 grams almond meal
2 1/2 tablespoon of castor sugar
3 1/2 tablespoon of plain flour
75grm cold unsalted butter cut into small chunks

Filling
125g hazelnuts
100 grams pecans
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup of shredded coconut
2 eggs
1 egg yolk
1 cup of brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
icing sugar for dusting
200 grams of melted lindt chocolate for decoration.

Pre heat oven to 180C. Line and oil a 20 cm springform cake tin.

Make the crust first- blitz almond meal, sugar, flour into food processor till combined. Add butter and whiz it till it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Press it evently in the cake tin. Fridge it to chill.

Filling- grind hazelnuts, then the pecans in the food processor. Set aside. Place flour and baking powder in medium size bowl. Whisk them together. The add the grounded nuts and coconut. Whisk to combine.

Using an electric beater, mix all the eggs and sugar till fluffy. Pour this mixture to the flour/nut mixture. Fold and combine well. Pour mixture into chilled crust. Shake to even out.

Bake for 40 minutes or so till it is set but soft in the middle. Cool the cake. Loosen it with a butter knife if needed. When ready to serve, dust the top with icing sugar and using melted dark chocolate, drizzle it in a zig zag motion to form the pattern.

Photobucket

14 comments:

tigerfish said...

Dark chocolate drizzle? I would say YES YES YES!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Did I just hear 30 day no sugar (& sauces) challenge? HOW DID YOU DO THAT!?!?! You always make good stuff. How can you suddenly stop eating... I think it's my turn to start. I've gained weight terribly! >_< Now this cake looks fabulous! You made the chocolate drizzle so perfectly (here's the part I probably screw up at the end). What a beautiful cake...see, I don't think I can do 30 day no sugar... my mind won't let me. LOL.

Unknown said...

omg! looks very impressive! a fantastic birthday cake!

celine said...

30 days of no sugar and sauces?? Wow!?! But ... why? Hope that it is not due to some serious health problems.:) xoxo

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Daphne! It looks amazing and I love that you celebrated the end of your 30 days with this. Delish and so darn pretty!

Woolly Mammoth said...

This looks wonderful, I'll have to try it too! Congratulations on making it through your 30 day challenge xx

lena said...

congrats Daphne for getting thru that whole month without sugar and sauce!!
Did you do that for your digestive problem? It's so nice seeing you baking a cake after some time. It is lovely!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Beautiful! Love the touch of powder sugar and thick layer of drizzle dark chocolate.

Joanne said...

I would have done the exact same thing after not eating sweets for that long. Okay, there's no way I would have made it that long! This looks amazing! The perfect comeback cake.

Kenny Mah said...

Congrats on finishing your challenge! (And what a nutty way to celebrate it, even if it was for a friend's birthday.)

;D

Gloria Baker said...

Look amazing Daphne!! gloria

daphne said...

tigerfish- I like too! ;p

Nami- It was difficult but makes my tastebuds so much more sensitive now! someone did it and lost 4 kg! I dont think I lost any weight though :(

Rita- thanks

Celine- oh no, it's just to be healthier. ;) prevention is better than cure!

Thanks Jessicai!

Joyce dear- thanks babe!

Ching- ;)

Lena- exactly right! I felt less bloated for sure!

Joanne- on the day I got off, I had 2 big nos nos.. cheesecake! (Dairy + sugar!)

Kenny- thanks!

Gloria- thank you!

Quay Po Cooks said...

WOW, what a pretty cake! You are coming back with a vengeance!! I am proud of you for completing your challenge:D A big bear hug for that!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

i dont think i not take sugar for 30days, salute you! This cake look so pretty and i bet it must be very tasty as well.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...