Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Chwee Kueh



Chwee Kueh Time!

When I'm back in Singapore, Granny and I love to visit a little shop outlet selling Chwee Kueh/Rice cakes just opposite Bedok MRT station. Two of us, taking the ride and just savoring this favorite Chinese tea-time delight.

I'm a big fan of pickled radish. The saltness mixed with the crunchy texture is irresistible to me. Oh, you mustn't forget the chili. HOT thick chili. The real kind.

So when I read Teckiee's post on this, I was sold. I needed to make it!

Gina's post in Cusine Asia was quite helpful as well.

I'm feeling the pressure of my work lately. And when I'm pressured and stressed, I get a little homesick. Homesick also means I miss those food you get as a child. And being a far away from home means you have to improvise.

So this is my version of Chwee Kueh adapted from Gina and Teckiee.

My conclusion- ah, i could eat this for breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper. Simple comfort.

Chwee Kueh
2 cups of rice flour
6 cups of water
2-3 tsp of salt

Method
1. Mix the flour and water.
2. Heat mixture on the stove. Stir briskly and add salt.
3. Whisk until the mixture turns thick. Do not be surprise if it turns starchy on you. Just keep stirring till it is smooth (or as smooth as it can be).
4. Remove the mixture from the stove when it becomes thick and pour it in a tin.
5. Steam for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean. Switch off your stove or whatever equipment you are using to steam it. Do not remove lid for another 15 mins or so.
6. Let it to cool.

Radish topping
Pickled radish/choy pou.
shallots
garlic
heh bee/dried shrimps. wash, drained and pounded.
dried chili flakes
olive oil (U can use lard)
1tsp of dark soya sauce.

Method
1. Chop everything up and fry with oil until fragrant. Add soya sauce to taste.

To serve
Cut chwee kueh/rice cakes into smaller pieces. Top with radish. Serve with hot chilli and fried shallots.


12 comments:

KellytheCulinarian said...

It's good enough for every meal? Sign me up :)

East Meets West Kitchen said...

I haven't had this for a couple of months, and your pics are making me hungry for them again! :D

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

hahaha so its also known as chee kueh..i still remember the "what is this kuih" post awhile ago..

Little Corner of Mine said...

MmmMmm...your chwee kueh is asking me to eat it! Will see whether I have time to make this for Edda's birthday. :)

culinaryprincess said...

it looks good Daphne!can u get pickled radish here in Aus in the Chinese groceries?

daphne said...

Kelly- hehehe, it's good stuff. A little salty and the rice cakes are filling!

East meets west- U have to make them again! hehehe.

Craving Joe- ya! but there is another name for this as well right?

Little corner- Edda's birthday coming up? ooo.. i see very happy satisfied children and good food!!!

Culinary princess-Yeah!! can find!!I think the package name is either Pickled radish or chai phoy. It's usually near the dried chili or herbs section though here in Perth. Not sure if it is the same in Adel. Give it a go!

bossacafez said...

omg, looks very good. this is one of my favorite breakfast item! well done girlie =) btw, its chWee kueh, not chee kueh :p

Big Boys Oven said...

something so homely which something I like best!

daphne said...

Evan- I stand corrected!!!! Changed made! hehe. Posted on your blog regarding the peanut cupcakes.

Big boys oven- Oh YEAH! this definitely reminded me of home....

SteamyKitchen said...

Now I want some too!!!

daphne said...

Steamy kitchen-U'hv got to make some!

teckiee said...

hehe going to make this for my next potluck ;p

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...