Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Nonya Mee Siam


I used to make the sauce for Mee Siam using bean paste, sambal oelak and lots of haibee (or dried shrimps) during my undergrad days. Those days, oriental stores did not import package sauces from SG or MY so it was hard to make decent mee siam at home.

Since Chan Brothers/Willetton Seafood started bringing in package sauces, I never went back to making mee siam sauce from the basics again. LOL. Why go through the hard work when you can purchase a packet for less than $3? Oops. Lazy me talking.

Do not be fooled by the instructions of the packet though. They may say that it will serve 4 people but I found the gravy wayyyy too diluted. Hence I reduced the liquid and served 2 instead. That way, the gravy is much more flavorsome and intense.

If you want to increase the heat factor, serve it with a table spoon of sambal. I like Glory brand. I know this brand is readily available in supermarkets in SG. Then again, the lucky ducks in SG or KL get to eat mee siam without traveling too far anyway! =)


Nonya Mee Siam (serves 2)
Bee Hoon/rice vermicelli about 1/4 a pack
1/4 cup of dried prawns/hai bee, washed
2-3 tablespoons of sambal
2 cups of beansprouts blanched
1-2 hardboiled eggs sliced
5 pieces of tau pok/fried bean curd in bite size pieces
lime or lemon wedge
1 packet of Nonya Mee Siam sauce

Optional
shredded chicken meat (I bought a bbq chicken so I used that)

Soak rice vermicelli in a bowl of hot water. Drain. Prepare sauce according to packet instructions(DO NOT follow instructions for water content, add about 1 -2cups first and then adjust accordingly).

Meanwhile, heat wok/deep pan. Add sambal and haibee. Stirfry till fragrant. Add the rice vermicelli. Keep tossing till the noodles are coated with sambal/haibee mixture. If the noodles appear dry, skim some of the liquid from the meesiam gravy into the pan.

Place bean sprouts into dishes. Place noodles on top of the bean sprouts. Garnish with shredded chicken, tau pok and egg. Pour gravy over the noodles. Serve with lemon wedge or lime.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

You even made your own mee siam gravy base before! Wow! For me, it's always the easy way out of using pre-packed mee siam mix. The Prima brand (SG) is not too bad. I have not tried other brands so can't compare.

Anonymous said...

I do not know why my fried mihun without chili paste is nice. BUT after I put in those chili paste, somehow the mihun looks wet.. hmmm..

Big Boys Oven said...

wah looks so simple and yet so delicious, I want some!

Anonymous said...

I never cook Mee Hsiam before, I once had it in Singapore last time, it taste nice. I can't find it Penang though.

~Christine~Leng said...

omg.. looks delicious! so glad that u shared the recipe!

InspiredMumof2 said...

It never cross my mind to cook mee siam too. Mee Siam and Mee Soto are my favorites. Ok, tomorrow I'm going to eat Mee Siam...

wmw said...

I love Mee Siam...eh, actually hor, I love quite a lot of stuff. hehe...

East Meets West Kitchen said...

Your mee siam looks yummy!

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

there r way too many asians for them not to import stuff like these over..they earn big bucks..we enjoy nice food! win win situation

Oh for the love of food! said...

Hmmmm.. You've just reminded me that I have not had mee siam in awhile. This sure looks good, Daphne!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Looks delicious! I want a bowl please! :P

Precious Pea said...

I always tot mee siam is fried meehoon with chili paste. Yours look more delicious though.

daphne said...

tigerfish-erm.. yes, i made it before BUT standard err... poor lah! I have to try the Prima brand too! always walk pass it.. i know the prawn noodles past from prima is pretty good.

keeyit-hmm.. that's a mystery! Mine has never been too wet! Is it because of the drainage of water from beehoon?

big boys oven- haha..can can! come!

nicholas-oh! not in Penang? hmm. then again, penang has such a wide variety of food that this is not missed greatly. It's mainly served in Malay stalls in SG.

christine-hey hey! thanks babe for dropping by!! =)

inspiredmumof2-haha..tell me how it went!

wmw-good mah! got variety! not fussy! ;p

east meets west kitchen- =)

Joe- ya loh! and it is still cheaper than eating outside leh.

Carol- thank you!! i realised the photo looked messy but I was in a rush and didn't present it properly.

little corner of mine- *daphne dishing out a bowl for you*

precious pea- the gravy is the key here. Usually make of prawn soup too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...