Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Braised Soya Sauce Chicken with Egg


The sense of smell is a powerful thing. A whiff of your favourite childhood dishes could bring you back memories.

This dish is a childhood favourite of mine. Probably every Chinese household have a version of this. This was also one of the first dishes I craved for when I first arrived in Australia. It's very homely and I love it with a bowl of rice.



Braised Soya Sauce Chicken with Eggs (serves 4)
7-8 Chicken drumsticks trimmed of fat
4 hard boiled eggs
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
1 tablespoon of chopped chili
olive oil

1/4 cup of oyster sauce
1 tablespoon of kikoman soya sauce
1 tsp of dark soya sauce
2-3 tablepoons of hua tio jiu
1 tsp sugar

1/201 cup of water

Saute garlic and chili. Brown chicken over moderate heat.

Mix sauces in a jar.

Once the chicken is browned, pour sauce mix over it. Pour around 1/2 cup of water into the wok/pan. Simmer for about 20 minutes. Check every 10 minutes if it requires more water. Turn the chicken so that it is well coated in the mixture.

Add eggs into the pot. Again, simmer the mixture for 15 more minutes, turning the eggs every 5 minutes to make sure it is well coated.

Serve with saute vegetables and rice.

What are some dishes that reminds you of your childhood days?

18 comments:

armand said...

I remembered when Daphne's grandmother made this for us quite often when we were in Australia. I have to say that Daphne managed to replicate this very very well :) The egg tastes excellent, especially the day after after it has been in the gravy overnight.

Cynthia said...

Just looking at this dish makes me happy so I can imagine how happy you must be :)

Dee said...

My mother winged it in the kitchen mostly. My favourite was chicken curry with canned button mushrooms. Sounds dubious, I know, but it was actually quite good :)
Yet another lovely meal, Daphne!

Babe_KL said...

hmm my fave too!

tigerfish said...

I want to add eggs in the next time! Craving for this again...

Anonymous said...

This looks delicious! And so simple, too.

It's funny, the dish I most remember from childhood seems sort of similar in spirit. It was a mock coq au vin, made in a crock pot, and it made the house smell soo good. I finally got around to asking for the recipe not long ago, and it's become a holiday staple.

Precious Pea said...

YUm yum yum...i can have 2 bowls of rice with this yummy dish!

SIG said...

I love this. My dad used to cook this for us and he used dried mushrooms too. I love hie version as he uses the very thick black sauce. Yum!

teckiee said...

i agree about the overnight concept. love it when the eggs turn black because of the sauce.

Noob Cook said...

I want two bowls of rice to go with this yummy dish! :D~

Little Corner of Mine said...

I love this dish too, especially the flavored eggs!

Par said...

I don't think I ever made chicken with eggs like that. Though it looks tasty.

test it comm said...

This dish sounds simple and yet really tasty!

Piggy said...

this is one of the comfort foods that i cook often... yum!

Unknown said...

this one sure looks gorgeous!
ah! lemme do an indo version of this, the one i always eat growing up hehehe

Aimei said...

I grow up eating this and still eating this now. I like best with my favourite stewed egg (lu dan). :)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Cynthia. It makes me happy just looking at it. It looks amazingly good... love the combination egg + chicken. Yum!

daphne said...

armand-thanks dear.

cynthia- haha. u r such a sweetie cynthia!

dee- i so agree with u! The most unexpected dishes r the most heart warming ones!

babe_kl-yay!

tigerfish-ya! the eggs were nice man.. i like the eggs better than the chicken!

three forks- what an interesting dish! Very french!

precious pea-hhee.. oh yeah!

singairishgirl- oh ya!! Dried mushrooms!! Good idea.

teckiee-oh yes, It sure taste better in the morning. The egg absorbed the sauce!

noobcook- =)

little corner- hehehe

kay-Welcome!1 Try it. =)

Kelvin- it is tasty! hehe.

piggy-i'm so with u on that one.

mocha- can't wait for yoru version!!!

aimei-I grew up eating lu dan too!

zen chef- hehe. thank you!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...