Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Miso Udon with Teriyaki Chicken




I can't believe I'm saying this but formatting is a pain on Word document!! It's taking me 2 hours and I'm only half way through listing the table and figure numbers/titles.. Took AR another 3 hours to suss out the format of Table of contents. I want to submit my final draft tomorrow and this is taking far too long! =(

So I'm posting about comfort food again. And what is more comforting than a bowl of soup?

I'm a big fan of miso paste. I use it in salads and even as a marinate. This time round though, I'm sticking to soup. I usually use a small packet of dashi that contains bonito flakes but just before I tear the packet, I noticed the expiry date and it was wayyyy over- so I chucked it out. The soup was still tasty though, possibly because of the sauce from the Teriyaki Chicken.

I stole the Teriyaki Chicken idea from my favourite Japanese restuarant in Perth. They served the best beef teriyaki udon ever. So anyhow, I decided to quicky saute thinly sliced chicken breast strips with teriyaki sauce and that turned out wonderful. On the topic of chicken breast meat, lots of people find it tough and dry but I think that is a sign of overcooking. I found out that if I sliced it across the grain and make sure it's thin, it's usually tender and juicy. Let me know what you think or have found. =)

I'm sooo craving for a bowl of soup now.



Miso Udon with Teriyaki Chicken (serves 2)
1 chicken breast sliced thinly across the grain
2-3 tablespoons of Teriyaki Sauce
1 tsp of garlic

2 packet of Udon noodles
750ml of chicken stock
3 generous tablespoons of red miso paste*
1 cup of sliced button mushrooms

*reduce miso paste amount to 2 tablepoons if using dashi.

Marinate chicken with garlic and teriyaki sauce. Set aside while you prepare miso soup.

Boil stock. Add miso paste. Stir till it is well dissolved. Cook Udon noodles in the soup. Add mushrooms.

Sautee chicken quickly in a pan. Spoon chicken with sauce over noodles. Serve warm.

SLURP =)


I'm serving this up for Pasta Presto Night! Yum Yum!

20 comments:

Noob Cook said...

I love all kinds of Japanese food, and yours look so good! The miso paste look very thick. Can see, but cannot eat :(

Lyrical Lemongrass said...

That certainly looks like a comforting bowl of noodles. Thanks for the recipe...need some variety to the other quick dinners that I've been preparing. What to do...go home so late...

tigerfish said...

Too small a bowl for me....and after saying miso...I need a bigger bowl of your miso udon :)

Wandering Chopsticks said...

Almost done sweetie! Just hang in there!

Ling's Passion said...

Wow...your blog rocks and you are so creative in your cooking. Will be visiting regularly. BTW, I've tagged you to my blog.

Unknown said...

wowwww i soooo wannnttttt thisss!! maybe change to beef for sous chef hehe

Beachlover said...

Now you make me want to cook Miso noodle too!!.I bought one pound miso paste but still didn't cook yet!.I better get some wakame and udon first!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love your miso udon, simple and delicious!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Wow that looks like some awesome comfort food!

test it comm said...

I never thought of placing chicken teriyaki in a bowl of udon soup. It sounds like a great idea!

Sharon said...

Yum, I love udon soup but have never had it with teriyaki chicken. I'll have to give this a shot!

ai wei said...

slurp slurp!~ i love miso but i deno how to cook >_<

choi yen said...

Noodle in miso soup...hmmm...an new idea for me....no more plain miso soup.. :)

culinaryprincess said...

perfect for the cold weather!how's the weather at ur side??Adelaide has been cold and wet the past couple of days!i only cook chicken breast here. and have no problems or complains with it.Alot of my frens find it tasteless actually.hope ur draft has been handed up :)my worst nightmare is referencing!!

Nilmandra said...

Lovely and comforting dish. It makes a real difference marinating the chicken before cooking like you did, especially for breast that dries out easily. I normally marinate with soy sauce, Chinese rice wine (or whatever ingredients I was supposed to be using for that dish) along with 1/2 or 1 tsp of cornflour, which makes the meat really velvety.

Retno Prihadana said...

I used to eat beef teriyaki, ur make interesting combination with miso udon...yummy!

Big Boys Oven said...

simple hhmmm maybve not but looks terrific!

daphne said...

noobcook-u hv to make a bowl for yourself. =)

lyrical lemongrass- not a problem. totally understand the cook fast eat fast way of living.

tigerfish- "scoops a bigger bowl for u"

wandering chopsticks-thank you! =)

ling's passion- wow thanks!! I will link u too!

mocha- good idea. beef works very well too.

beachlover- hehee =) go go go!

little corner- soup is such a big comfort to me. Must be cantonese roots.

jessy- cheers!

kelvin- be careful with the sauce htough, it might get too salty.

sharon- try it!

aiwei-this is a good one to start~ easy easy!

mimi- =) yeah!! U can use it in so many ways!


culinary princess- It's getting colder here in Perth. This weekend will be warm though! Referencing is not too bad because I use endnote (Although the program is a pain itself) but otherwise, its the formatting that is killing me....

nilmandra- good idea with the cornflour will try that next time as well.

Retno- hehe. it is abit different isnt it?

big boys oven- it is really simple!! and quick too.

Ruth Daniels said...

The soup looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights and I do hope it calmed you down through the document formatting process.

Anonymous said...

Looks so good!!! I will have to try it. I like your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...