Monday, May 05, 2008

Cottage Pie


The last time I posted this, it was in 2006! Hmm..Looking at the old post, I realized I'm taking this blog alot more seriously now.

This is actually a cottage pie since I used beef mince instead of lamb. The time round, I added some cheese in my mashed potato and used 98.5% fat free milk + olive oil instead of butter. The butter version is obviously richer but the olive oil one has a lighter taste to it. Oh, another difference? I added a tablespoon of mango chutney into the beef mixture. It was the best decision I made that day. The chutney added a different dimension and taste to the beef mixture. A little tangy and definitely alot more body to it. Another one pot dish! =)



Cottage Pie

4 royal blue potatoes
salt
1/4 cup of olive oil or less
handful of cheddar cheese
1 tsp of chopped garlic
1/2 cup+ of evaporated creamy 98.5 fat free milk or normal skim milk

400grams of beef mince
3 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 cup of chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon of mango chutney
garlic
olive oil

1) Boil chopped potatoes in a pot of salted water. Drain and mash in the warm bowl with olive oil, milk, cheese and seasoning. Set aside.

2) Pre heat oven at 200C.

3) Heat oil in pan and gently fry garlic. Add mince and cook till brown, breaking the mince up as it cooks. Add tin of tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and chopped mushrooms. Simmer for around 10 minutes. Add seasoning if needed. Stir in the spoonful of mango chutney. Spoon into baking dish and top it with mash potatoes. Bake under grill for 25 minutes till it is bubbling and the top turns golden.


Check out Singairishgirl's version as well.

11 comments:

tigerfish said...

always love savory pies like this - cottage, shepherd, chicken pie!

Dee said...

I make this quite often because I too love one dish meals. Never thought about using chutney - great idea! Just curious, did you use Asian style chutney or Western?

Big Boys Oven said...

oh thank you thank you, I like to make this soon! :)

Unknown said...

yum yum yum...another yummy savoury pie from you...this is why i love visiting your blog! hehe

Little Inbox said...

Hi daphne, nice pie you've made. It's me, mylittlecottage here!

ICook4Fun said...

Thanks for stopping by at my blog. I just love savory pies. This pie will be my next project :)

Mama Mia said...

looks like a wonderfully comforting meal!

Jessy and her dog Winnie said...

Yum! Sounds delicious!

SIG said...

gorgeous! An a lovely touch with the chutney!

test it comm said...

This sounds tasty. I really like the use of the mango chutney in it!

daphne said...

tigerfish-me too!! esp chicken pies!

dee- the chutney was home made and a gift from AR's aunt n uncle. It is more towards the western style I think. =) the eastern style will work too.

big boys oven- woohoo!

mocha-haha. thanks babe.

little inbox- yay! ur here again!

icook4fun- welcome! and let me know how that goes.

lina- it is =)

jessy- =)

singairishgirl- thanks! I was surprised by how different it tasted.

kevin- it's impromptu but it added another dimension to it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...