Tuesday, May 06, 2008

(Not so sizzling) Japanese Tofu


When Mochachocolata-Rita announced her Chinese take out party, I raised my hand up to participate immediately. Firstly, I really like her posts and quirky funny write ups. Secondly, there is a lucky draw prize involved-how can I miss out on a lucky draw? (ok, so I barely won anything from a lucky draw but probability dictates that I should win something sometime right?)

I have a few reasons for choosing this dish. A while back, I spotted Beachlover Kitchen's post on a similar take on this and it jogged my memory. I simply cannot get enough of the crips silky texture of fried tofu in this dish. Also, this is AR's favourite Chinese take out dish and I really wanted to cook something for him especially after all the help he has given me.

However, I'm still half fuming over a couple of incidents between us recently. Long hours working + wedding planning= more arguments. I maintained that being engaged doesn't mean I'm bound to silliness and other inconsiderate behaviours though. I know, it's contradictory, he can be soooo helpful and then inconsiderate shortly after. Grrr. Men.

Ok, he apologised so I grudgingly packed this for his lunch. No more of this nonsense!



(Not so sizzling) Japanese Tofu ( serves 4)
2 tubes of Japanese tofu
cornflour

300 grams of ground chicken meat (or pork)
1/4 cup of hua tiao jiu
3 tablespoon of soya sauce
1 table spoon of oyster sauce
1/2 tsp of salt
pepper
1 tsp of cornflour

4 pieces of hydrated shitake mushrooms chopped
1/4 cup of chicken stock
garlic
chopped chili
10 peeled prawns/shrimps
olive oil

1 tsp cornflour mix with cold water (optional)

1) Marinate mince.

2) Preheat wok with oil for shallow frying. Slice tofu and pat it with paper towel (very important if not you will have hot oil splatter over u!). Coat tofu in corn flour. Fry tofu in work for around 5-10 minutes, turning half way through. Remove from the work and set aside.

3) Fry garlic and chili in the same wok. Add mince mixture. Stir fry till nearly done and add the mushrooms and prawns. Add stock if mixture appears too dry. Taste to check if the seasoning is right.

4) Add the cornstarch mixture if using.

5) Add tofu. Gently stir. Serve immediately with a hot bowl of rice.



Chinese Take out Party- here we come!

14 comments:

Unknown said...

wow, thanks for bringing this to the party! i loveee these little softies but havent tried cooking it yet...i'm so inspired now ^_^

Kenny Mah said...

Oooh this is like comfort food to me. My mum does something similar (she uses minced pork instead of chicken) and it's so, how to put it? "you jia de gan jue" if you can understand my horrendous attempt at pinyin.

Has a feeling of home, is what I mean. :)

Beachlover said...

oh!! like love your tofu with big shrimp!!.So nice of you to pack food for AR.He so smart know how to said sorry,now he have tofu for lunch!lol!

Big Boys Oven said...

oh my favourite , tofu! So delicious. always had them steamed!

Dee said...

aaah, nothing beats comfort food.

tigerfish said...

Hahhaha...MEN! That does not sizzle as much as your tofu dish! The best ones are those served on a sizzling hotplate in tze char stall/kopi tiam back in Sg.

Well, at home we could only make do with this. But it's delicious I know. :D

Jun said...

hello daphne! thx for popping by! so u're in perth eh? i mite end up thr next yr :> *thinking abt food places in perth now*

culinaryprincess said...

u amaze me girl! with ur busy schedule u still manage to cook and moreover blog!!the tofu+ the prawns look good :)i love anything with prawns in it.

wmw said...

haha...not so sizzling, let's hope it's sizzling in life!

Hazza said...

I have only ever tried this with normal tofu. Actually, never crossed my mind to try with Japanese tofu. Does it taste very different?

boo_licious said...

I'm glad u sorted out those issues - always bad to have them hanging around. The tofu dish looks scrumptious...definitely comfort food for me since I love all kinds of beancurd.

SIG said...

That is sizzling girl! Yummy. I love that! Best of luck in the contest.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love your Japanese Tofu chinese take out! I love anything tofu. :)

Noob Cook said...

hee i love tofu!! I love the bits of meat and prawns :)~ Good luck for the lucky draw, keke...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...