Thursday, September 25, 2008

Peanut Butter Ham Cheese French Toast


I had my first ever blood test yesterday. I don't know about you but I hate needles. Needless to say, I was a teany winy bit nervous about the blood test.

Thankfully, it wasn't as bad as what I thought it would be. In that case, fear was definitely bigger than the pain. Well, action is the best cure of fear and I'm glad I experienced it. Having a friendly nurse certainly help though. As she checked my veins, she said that I should have drank more water prior to the session but she managed to find a "nice, juicy vein"-a little joke that certainly broke the tension. All I felt was a tiny prick and after what seems like ages, she said it was done. I turned around and saw FOUR vials of blood! Woah! I'm glad I didn't see her drawing it.

On another note, I got impatient and rang up my supervisor to ask for the status of my thesis examination. It has been 4 months since I submitted it. Apparently, one examiner pulled out hence my thesis has traveled from London to Norwich to the next appointed examiner.

Isn't it ironic that my thesis has clocked more miles than I have?

The good news is that the other examiner did finish her report and I passed!!

So I'm praying hard that the new examiner will be a nice, patient, sweet person who will pass me as well.

All these dramas make me crave for something comforting. Sinfully comforting. And it has to be different. So one lazy Sunday afternoon, I had a crazy idea of sandwiching ham and cheese between peanut butter slattered bread soaked in beaten eggs.

I felt slightly guilty and paired it with a simple baby spinach salad with a quick drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.

And surprisingly, it was pretty yummy!



Peanut Butter Ham Cheese French Toast (Serves 2)
4 slices of thick white bread
3 eggs
1 tsp sugar

4 slices of ham
3 slices of sliced smoked chedder cheese
peanut butter
1/2 tablespoon of reduced fat spread

1) Slatter bread with peanut butter on both sides. Lay ham and cheese. Top it off with another piece of bread.

2) Lightly beat eggs with sugar. Soak bread in the egg mixture for around 1-2 minutes on each side.

3) Heat pan and melt butter. Fry sandwiches both side till golden brown. Serve with salad.

28 comments:

bossacafez said...

hey you went for blood test babe? why? it just reminds, blood test is gonna be something regular for me nowadays *sobs*

this sandwich looks fantabulous, wish i could hv a bite of it now. look at the cheese oozing out...omg! they sell something similar in Q-bread, a breadtalk lookalike shop, but its always hard & stale :(

tigerfish said...

I don't think it is surprising with ham and cheese toast being yummy! It is definitely yummy. Peanut butter just made it better :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I never thought ham and cheese and peanut butter would work together, but you found a way! Kudos!

SIG said...

First ever? Lucky you. Oh gosh. I go through that every 3mths, prior to my appt with doc and you sound exactly like me. I can't look when they are doing it or I don't know what will happen to me. Faint perhaps? Hehe. The toast looks fantastic. Yum!

Little Inbox said...

hah, just the very first time heard of "juicy" vein, hehe...

~Ling~ said...

Ouch! I hate needles too...m just like you =)

What a simple and nice combo sandwich...yummy!

CECIL said...

Very interesting combination sandwich! I'd never thought of pairing up peanut butter with ham and cheese.

You are so right about fear being bigger than the pain!! At one time, it took them 12 times (5 different technicians) to get my vein. It was the darkest day ever!

myCoffee said...

Oh my, looks ultra yummy! Great comfort food!

Precious Pea said...

I hate needles too. Due to high fat content and thick flesh, the nurse always have difficulty locating my veins. Ended up they always put the needle in and start 'digging'. So so painful!!

Btw, toast looks sinful lah!!! but i like! Hahaha!

vialentino said...

omg...very nice food pics...like ur foodie blog a lot....

Unknown said...

hi daphne... guess what? i'm just about to post something about french toast s/w as well... lol... guess we're on the same wave length... :)...yours looks delicious, btw... :)

Tummythoz said...

Oooh peanut butter .. french toast .. sudden hunger pangs attack!

Christina Kim said...

Hahaha...some comfort food to compensate for the "lost" blood yeah!~:)

LianneK said...

Fat, juicy veins! If the person drawing my blood said that, I think my blood will boil lah .. hahaha, and will pump out more! Congrats on passing your thesis paper part 1?

Chibog in Chief said...

i hate all types of needles! long, short, big , thin, name it i hate it. during my pregnancy for the love of my daughter i accepted all this type of blood tests.;anyways this is one of the most delicious looking "croque monsieur" i've ever seen! yummy

Kenny Mah said...

I guess I'm weird; I dun really mind needles, esp. if the docs are injecting me with something that replaces the tedious task of swallowing pills every hour on the hour for a week... I guess I'm not brave, just lazy :P

...and these sandwiches look delish too! :D

Retno Prihadana said...

I hate needles too. Daphne, I wish you luck with other examiners too!. Hmm...I can´t imagine the taste your sandwich toast, a bit weird combination for me, maybe delish :)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Sure looks yummy!

Unknown said...

Wow, what a combo! So strange, yet it's calling to me... definitely going to give this a try. Christie@figandcherry.com

Beachlover said...

what a yummy and sweet combination french toast,ham and peanut butter!! it's been long time I didn't have any french toast!

daphne said...

Evan-u hv to update me abt your health dear. I went for a blood test because it's work requirement. Hopefully everything is all clear...

Tigerfish-who would have thought that peanut butter and ham/cheese could go so well! =)

the blonde duck- hehe. Welcome!! and thanks! =) I didnt know that either.

sig-I think it's the start of many more blood tests to come! *Sigh*

little inbox- ya! hehehe.

jade and cecil-exactly right. The fear is much bigger.. or perhaps a skilled nurse helped as well.

mycoffee-exactly! Comfort food to the best.

precious pea-ouch! I would hate that!!! Maybe I shld stay away frm the peanut butter sandwiches.. haha.

vialentino-hello and welcome! I'm glad u like what u see here. =)

mikky-^5!

tummythoz- hehhee, I will share some with u!

christy-exactly!

lianne-thanks! Well, 50% there! Still have to make changes but I really want to close that chapter of my life asap!

dhanggit-the things women go through! And I'm glad u reminded me of the real name of this! I vaguely recalled it's croque something!!

life for beginners- really? I think that's really brave! I prefer pills anytime than needles!

Retno- hehe. it is weird! I thought it was odd too! Dont know why I wanted it.

little corner- Thanks!!!

Christie-ooo.. let me know!

beachlover-I really like french toast too!

Wandering Chopsticks said...

How nerve-wracking for the blood and the thesis! I hate getting my blood taken. I have small veins and they're always poking to find one. You should eat a big juicy steak to replenish that blood. Good luck on on finishing getting the thesis all passed! :)

Par said...

I love to take a bite of that.

wmw said...

What an ensemble! Looks really good...*smack lips*

Noob Cook said...

I agree that the anticipation is often worse than the pain, hehe. I always wish I get male nurses because they have steadier hands hehe. This sandwich looks awesome ... such a great idea to use french toast :D

Unknown said...

goshhhh my kinda comfort food! i love all abt these babies! the peanut butter is a nice touch!

daphne said...

wandering chopsticks- Not passed yet.. =( One half to go! Steak huh.. good tip! kekekee.

Ms.__2 be- hehe. =)

wmw- thanks!

noobcook- ooo..male nurses huh.. I didnt know that! thought females will be more gentle?

mocha- oh yeah! Anything with peanut butter is soo good!

Aimei said...

Oh I love this! Peanut butter - my favourite!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...