Monday, July 19, 2010

Tender Lamb Chickpea Casserole

The good thing about winter weather is that we get to consume hearty comfort food. I guess back in the days when I was residing in Singapore, the thought of having casseroles and hearty stews often in the hot weather will be uncommon. A positive in staying in Australia (or anywhere with 4 seasons), food choices increase.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't have classify casseroles as "my kind of food" say 10 years ago. Certainly one thing I realized is that the palate change. And what I didn't like before may be what I enjoy having now.

I like this dish because it represents a different side of my cooking. It's not Asian, neither is it truly western. In fact, it's probably a mixture of what I read in various cookbooks! I dare say this is a combination of Jamie Oliver and The Australian Women Weekly! ;)



Tender Lamb Chickpea Casserole 
600 grams of lamb stir fry or lean cuts of meat-sliced (Season lightly with pepper and salt)
1 can of tomato diced
2 tsp of tomato paste
2-3 tsp of chili flakes
1 tsp of garlic 
2 stalks of celery diced
1 carrot diced  
1 cup of sliced mushrooms
3/4 zucchini diced
1 can of chickpea
1 cup of stock or water
optional -1/2 cup of red wine (Omitted) 


Saute garlic. Quickly fry up the lamb.  Add all veges and tomatoes. Simmer for 30 minutes or so, adding water when needed. Add tomato paste and chickpeas. Season. Cook for another 20 minutes or so. Serve with couscous. 

5 comments:

Katerina said...

It is always very interesting when east and west meet in a dish. It makes it so much different and unusual from anything we eat normally.

tigerfish said...

I do agree. With seasons, there is more variety in food. :)

Joanne said...

I've always been a casserole lover...they just scream comfort food to me. Lamb and chickpeas are two of my favorite ingredients and I love how you combined them here!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Hearty and nice!

Big Boys Oven said...

wow this is something simple and nice! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...