Monday, April 25, 2011

Stir Fry Prawns with Century Eggs. A $20 Budget Meal- Egg Theme



 I didn't forget! I meant to post my mixed fruit + chocolate hot cross buns today but I quickly realized that today is deadline for an entry to $20 Budget meal (= AU$15) submission.

Being on a budget isn't new to me. I don't recall a time where we are never on a budget. From being a student, to newly weds, it's part and parcel and life really. We think being on a budget is a necessity to life these days. With raising costs, it's hard not to take charge of your money and to know where each cent goes.


I usually cook for 4 and pack the remaining dinner into our lunch boxes the next day. By limiting take out lunches to once or twice a month, we managed to keep our expenditure low. It is actually not often that I have a soup and 2 dishes meal because with each component, costs increases. However, being a Cantonese, I missed my soups and would savour each time we have it. When granny was here, we would have clear soups two to three times a week. For us though, it would probably be once or twice every few months (I can see hubby's sad look here..) Another reason of course is time, but I realised that if I put all ingredients in my magic thermal cooker in the morning, all I need to do is to re heat when we come home at night.

Usually, we do not spend $15 on our meals. It's probably around AU$8-$10 depending on what dish I cook. This is the breakdown costs of our meals

Corn, Carrot and Radish Soup- $3.80
Stir Fry Long Beans and Mushrooms- $3
Chili Prawns with Century Eggs- $6.30

Total: $13.10 

I think it's worth it though because we have prawns in this meal. Century eggs is around AU$2 here.

Granny who I spoke to one weekend, excitedly told me that she saw someone cooked this prawn dish on TV and think I should try it. She said that she has to tell me soon because if not she might not remember all component of the dish. So here I go, documenting it... and hopefully it's similar to what she remembered!

Stir Fry Prawns with Century Eggs
1/2 red onion- sliced
2 chili padi (I used chili padi from our garden so it's freeeee) 
1/2 tsp of corn flour
250 grams of shelled prawns
1/2 bunch of spring onions sliced
2-3 tablespoon of maggi soya sauce
dash of white pepper
1/2 tsp of salt
1 century egg diced

Quickly stir fry onions till soft. Add chili. Fry prawns till done and sprinkle some corn flour to it. Add around 2-3 tsp of water as well. Add sauce in with some pepper. Season with salt. Toss spring onions and century eggs through. Serve with soup, veges and rice.


Thank You Ellena from Cusine Paradise in hosting this event. I can't wait to participate in next month's!


Photobucket

11 comments:

Unknown said...

What amazing meals, and for so little money! I am definitely going to try the prawn dish, it sounds delicious!

Cuisine Paradise said...

Oh my all these homecook food of yours look so mouth-watering...yum yum. And the stir-fry prawn with century egg is nice to me too :) (Oh boy, one century egg is AU$2!!!!, that's too much. I can't remember how much i bought it when i was brisbane 9 yrs back.

Quay Po Cooks said...

That is something new, combo of prawn and century eggs. I am very curious to find out what it tastes like.

Little Inbox said...

The granny is cute, hehe...
This is so called a very satisfying cost saving home cooked meal. Good job!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

For $20 bucks? This looks like a 100 dollar dinner. So good and fresh. Being from the south we love our seafood so this is right up my alley! Need to give your recipe a try for the hubs!

lena said...

Daphne, this is good and yet satisfying enough for less than $20 meal. GIve me $20 and i probably have to scratch my head and walk around the market for an hour. The meat and fish here are getting more expensive.But i do eat out during weekends, i;m just too lazy to cook during weekends.. need a break!

The Sudden Cook said...

Mmmmmm prawns and eggs - what a match made in heaven!

Joanne said...

I think about my budget a lot, so this has been a great post to read! And the prawns look so delicious! Love that you can eat affordably without sacrificing flavor!

Min {Honest Vanilla} said...

Oh I must totally do this budget meal submission, sounds like such a great idea to encourage people to cook more :) Love your set too!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yeah you made it! :) Wow, the food in Australia is not cheap.

daphne said...

Eva- I hope u like it ;)

Cuisine Paradise- It's iike a precious ingredient now! LOL but I like it so.... :(

Quay Po- I like how the century egg goes very well with prawn. Try it.

Little inbox- indeed she is cute! LOL

Jessica- I hope you can find century eggs at your end of the world ;)

Lena- True true!! Sometimes I'm the same too.

Joanne- I'm with you on budgetting for sure!

Min-Yeah, this is a different sort of event that got me thinking!

Ching- Just in time! LOL Yes, it's getting more expensive.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...