Sunday, May 22, 2011

Japanese Tofu with Spicy Pork and Egg Budget AU$15



 When the theme for this month's S$20 (or AUS$15) budget meals was announced to be Tofu, I got excited. Afterall, it is a humble ingredient that can be prepared in so many ways.

My favourite tofu, would be the silken egg tofu. The one that comes in a tube. I love to coat it with some cornflour and pan fry it, creating a slight crisp coating on the outside, but soft silky tofu on the inside. I fried up some mince, made an omelette and added the pre prepared tofu on the top.

While it looks messy, it is one of our favourite easy dish to have. The combine texture of crisp, soft, eggy..etc just makes it worthwhile.

I made ribs and lotus soup ( I realised I forgot to purchase some peanuts if not I would have added it there!) to pair with this dish. By boiling it in the morning before we head to work and placing it in the magic cooker, we were delighted to have a hot soup ready for us to drink when we got home in cold weather. A quick and simple bak choy stir fry was also made.

The Pork Ribs and Lotus soup was a bargain- Only $2.60 to make. We picked up some cheap pork bones which happened to be ribs for $3 for a big packet. We divided the packet into threes- So more soups for us! Lotus root was frozen though-nevertheless, it was $2.50 for a big packet (60cents). Enough to for at least another 2-3 meals. I added some dried scallops that was in my freezer which I estimated it to be around $1.

Bak Choy was $1 a bunch

Japanese Tofu with Spicy Pork and Egg was a little more pricey- around $7. On hindsight, probably one tube of tofu was enough but I got too carried away! So total cost of meal = AU$10.60. Not bad for a complete meal for 4.

Japanese Tofu with Spicy Pork and Egg (Serves 4-5)
2 tubes of Japanese Tofu
1 cup of corn flour
oil
200 grams pork mince
1/2 cup of hua tiao jiu
3 tablespoon of soy sauce
2 chili padi chopped
5 eggs
3 tablespoon of milk or soy milk

Slice tofu, coat it with corn flour lightly, shaking excess flour out. Fry tofu in hot pan with some oil. Turn after 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and place tofu in plate lined with paper towels. Set aside.

Meanwhile, sauté chili padi with pork mince. Add the hua tiao jiu and soy sauce. Cook till mince is done.

Beat eggs with some milk. Pour eggs into pan. Cook till nearly set. Place tofu on the top of the omelette. Serve warm.

Hosted by Ellana from Cusine Paradise, this is my entry to Budget Meals.


Photobucket

13 comments:

Kenny Mah said...

I love Japanese tofu with pork and egg too - my mom used to cook this all the time with extra gravy, better to soak up the steamed rice with! :D

Sweet Lily said...

The "pork ribs and lotus soup" is my favorite, sometimes I even put peanuts in it. (But honestly, most of my American fellas don't like it, they just don't know what they're missing...)

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! What a comforting home cook meal.

Little Inbox said...

Japanese Tofu dish must be full of flavor. :P

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

I LOVE Japanese/ egg tofu, they are so flavourful and fragrant! Love the spicy pork too :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Okay one thing I have yet to cook with is tofu and I swear your have convinced me to get it today to try! This looks so good. Okay, any suggestions on making the hubby not realize it is tofu until he actually tries it! i know he will love it once he tries it.

Woolly Mammoth said...

Hey Daphne, great to hear from you again! How have you been? I'll be visiting Haz and family in a few weeks :)

daphne said...

Kenny- for sure!!

papacheong- thanks!

the tame lion- yes! I miss my peanuts in this soup!

Ching- ;)

Little inbox- thanks!

Jen- Me too!! I love jap tofu! yeah!

Jessica- You got to try! They are one of the best easy ingredient ever.

J- hey!! I have been really well. darn, now i hv to figure your email add so that we can keep in contact LOL

lena said...

i had something quite similiar to this at chinese restaurant some time back. They put the fried egg at the bottom, followed by a block of tofu and top with minced pork with gravy!

Babe_KL said...

Sounds very doable but I'm not sure if I could get all the items for just RM10 :( everything is getting very expensive in KL these days

Unknown said...

So simple yet yummy !! :)

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Daphne! This is a great meal! I wanted to submit some tofu dish to Ellena's site too, but I got so busy this month and now I got sick and I haven't entered a recipe yet. Yours look wonderful. I wish I can eat the tofu dish tonight...

tigerfish said...

Woohoo...my kind of meal too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...