Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Tomato Basil Soup with Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli



As the colder weather sets in, I'm making soups weekly. It's a great one pot meal with little mess and fuss. As we like our soups chunky with lots of vegetables in it. It's our way to increase our vegetables intake too. Usually, I make a big pot-enough for a couple of meals which save time.

I recall reading in a magazine or perhaps through browsing a cookbook in a bookstore that we could use store bought fresh lasagne sheets to make ravioli. With that in mind, I decided to give it a go by stuffing ravioli with spinach and ricotta. This helps to bulk our soup up with some carbs.

Amazingly, 8 lasagne sheets produced around 12-14 ravioli. That's heaps for us! I themed this ravioli with a tomato and basil soup. The tangy taste of tomatoes and smooth basil was a hit for us.



Tomato Basil Soup with Spinach and Ricotta Ravioli (Serves 4-5)
1kg of tomatoes diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
few stalks of basil
1 ltre of vegetable stock
500 ml of water
1 onion chopped
4 chili padi chopped
1 tablespoon of garlic

a packet of lasagna sheets- around 8 sheets
1 egg whisked
200 grams ricotta
250 grams spinach
100grams smoked salmon sliced
cracked pepper

Fry garlic, chilli and onion till soft. Add in all tomatoes (including can). Simmer for around 3 minutes. Add stock and half of the water. Simmer.

Meanwhile, prepare ravioli filling. Quick blanched spinach leaves with hot water. Drain and squeeze all remaining water out of it (wait for it to cool down a little). Whisk ricotta till smooth. Combine spinach leaves and cracked pepper with ricotta. Set aside.

Take 1 piece of lasagna sheet, spoon ricotta mixture onto mixture (around 3 or 4 spoonfuls. Brush beaten egg around the mixture. Place another piece of lasagna sheet on top. Lightly press it so it seals. Using a knife or a pizza cutter. Cut them into pieces. Trim if needed. Repeat.

By that time, your soup should be boiling. Tear basil leaves into the soup. Taste and adjust accordingly.
Spoon soup into the blender. Blitz for a few minutes. Returning the mixture to the pot and return to boil.
Quickly add one ravioli to the soup for 2-3 minutes. Remove. Place ravioli into bowls. Repeat and cook ravioli as needed. Around 3-4 raviolis in one bowl is sufficient. Ladle soup onto the raviolis. Serve with basil leaves.


I'm serving this to my friends at Presto Pasta, founded by Ruth from Once Upon a Feast. This week, Trish is hosting from My Slap Kitchen.

Photobucket

15 comments:

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Hi Daphne! I was catching up my reading on your site...now your newest post. The basil soup looks so good... I have my basil in pot that's going to die soon (but still fresh leaves), so I'm going to make this soup tomorrow. I made miso soup tonight already. Ricotta Ravioli sounds great. Never thought of adding into a soup! Sounds so warm and perfect for sick person (I rarely get sick). >_<

Catherine said...

Dear Daphne, I just discovered your blog and think it is delicious! I know that I would just love this soup! I do hope that you will stop by and visit my blog too. Thank you, Blessings, Catherine xo

Kenny Mah said...

There's just something very comforting about tomato-based soups and easy-eating pasta like ravioli... :)

tigerfish said...

You can give me tomato soup anytime!

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Looks great! I love homemade soups like these and the lasagna sheets for ravioli are a great idea :)

Catherine said...

Dear Daphne, Thank you for stopping by my blog and leaving a kind comment. Blessings, Catherine xo

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Love the idea of adding ravioli to the soup. Bread yes but pasta never done before. Amazing idea and boy it sounds so good. Wish we were having it for dinner tonight but nope- just salad for us because i have a busy day ahead! LOL!

Joanne said...

Aww it's like lasagna deconstructed! How could one NOT love that!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Such a heart-warming soup with ravioli, made it into one meal dish. :)

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

Your use of smoked salmon is intriguing. Would you do me a favor and link this at Let's Do Brunch.

I am already picturing this on the brunch table which is laden with delightful foods. Please do share.

I can't get my URL to change below. My linky is at My Sweet and Savory. http://sweetsav.blogspot.com

lena said...

heard abt ravioli but never knew that can also be done from lasagna sheets..cooking them with soup sounds like a new way too! i'm sure you and your hubby have enjoyed eating this thoroughly!

Anonymous said...

this sounds so warm and wonderful, even though we're done with the colder weather for now (Spring is finally here) but I love soup when it's cold too. Have a great day

Aimei said...

I could feel the warmth of this soup as it sounds!

daphne said...

thanks nami!

Catherine- good to have met you on this blog universe.

kenny- hehe, that's is what i think too!

Jen- cheers!

Jessica- u are so sweet!

Joanne- that is so true!

Ching- thanks!

comfy cook- thanks for dropping by :)

Lena- we did!

wildcatsthree- :)

aimei- hahaha.. yes, we need the warmth!

Ruth Daniels said...

Hopefully, our cold weather is over ... wishful thinking, I know. That said, I wouldn't mind a cold spell if it meant eating some of this tasty soup. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights. Can't wait to see what you come up with next.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...