Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Classic Meat Loaf with Glaze



There is something special about meat loaf. I feel that it is really under rated these days. People tend to associate meat loaf with it being boring food.

My first memory of meat loaf was when I watched American TV. You know, the scene when the mother says "it's dinner time! We are having meat loaf" and the kids making faces. Perhaps, growing up in Singapore, I have been so blessed with having traditional Chinese food, that I just thought that those poor American kids having to suffer through dinner!


So without tasting or knowing exactly what that was, I concluded that meat loaf must be tasteless and boring.

Not till I started experimenting with mince meat that I realised how interesting meat loaves are. First up, they are EASY! super duper easy. And then, it's really no fuss! Exactly how I like my food to be. And budget friendly. Very budget friendly when one was a student, and the other just started working. Oh talk about memories.

More recently, I came across Matt Preston's version of meat loaf. Now, a chef talking about meat loaf? I need to sit up and read up. He included in oats in his version in place of breadcrumbs. "Low GI idea, I like it already" I thought. The glazing idea will keep the loaf moist as well.

I substituted some glaze ingredients from what I have in the fridge and it turned out terrific as well.


Classic Meat Loaf with Glaze

600 grams of lean beef mince
1 onion chopped finely
1 tablespoon of garlic minced
1 cup of rolled oats
1 large egg
1 cup of soy milk

Glaze
1/2 cup of tomato sauce/ketchup.
2 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
2 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of mustard- I used spicy seeded but Dijon is the best)
Salt

Preheat oven to 180 C.

Combine mince, onion and garlic. Fold in oats. Then add egg and milk. Just combine, don't over stir it. I pressed mine in a lined loaf tin but you could do it on baking tray form into a loaf shape. Roast for 30 minutes first.

Meantime, put glaze ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer for a few minutes till combined and looks syrupy. Pour 2/3s of the glaze on meatloaf after 30 minutes. Return back to the oven for another 30 minutes.

Re glaze when meatloaf is done. Rest for 5 minutes and serve with a sprinkle of salt.


Photobucket

10 comments:

Amelia said...

Daphne, your meat loaf looks delicious. yum yum

tigerfish said...

I actually don't think meat loaf is boring. I don't fancy it because I tend to associate it with purely meat and nothing else. :O

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

I've actually never made meat loaf myself hah! Yours look and sound delicious though!!

Little Inbox said...

When I crave for meat loaf, I'll dine in one of the nearby restaurant for it. I have to learn making it too.

Joanne said...

My mom used to make really boring meatloaves when I was little, so I can definitely see the aversion to them. Yours sounds fabulous though! Not boring at all!

lena said...

oats in meatloaf sounds a new thing to me but that glaze looks wonderful!!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Your glaze looks to die for on that meatloaf- in fact I could put that glaze on just about anything and be happy! Awesome one pot meal and needless to say I have meatloaf on my mind now!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Your glaze looks to die for on that meatloaf- in fact I could put that glaze on just about anything and be happy! Awesome one pot meal and needless to say I have meatloaf on my mind now!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love the extra glaze to make it special. I am not too crazy about meat loaf either since I don't buy beef. :P

Quay Po Cooks said...

My Quay Lo will always be happy with meat loaf. Using oats is something new to me. Got to try the next time I make meat loaf.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...