Thursday, February 14, 2013

Nonya Chicken Curry





I have grown to really like Poh's Kitchen. I like how she showcase the beauty of Malaysian and Chinese food to Australia. I like how ABC has all her shows on internet TV (means I can watch it anytime!)

It is also one of the most tedious curries I have made. Woah, the steps! It is actually very easy, but it does takes patience. I took a few short cuts-such as using ground spices instead of whole. Simply because I have some ground spices on hand and that I didn't want to purchase new whole spices again.

If you are wondering... why am I serving this with Thosai- wrong curry! I had a friend came over to teach me how to make thosai on the day I made the curry! oops. Oh well, I learned how to flip thosai (FINALLY!)


At least the curry was good.


Nonya Chicken Curry


    Rempah/Spice Paste
  • 3 tbs coriander powder
  • 1 tsp cumin powder
  • 1 tsp fennel powder 

  • 15 dried chillies, deseeded, soaked in hot water, drained and chopped
  • 270g red eschallots, roughly chopped
  • 3 cloves garlic
  • 20g belachan, toasted* (place it in the oven with foil for 5-10 minutes till it becomes crumby) 
  • 25g fresh turmeric root

  • 3 tbs coconut cream
  • 6 - 7 sprigs of curry leaves
  • 4 tbs veg oil

  • 1 star anise
  • 2 whole cloves
  • 1 cinnamon stick
  • 1 kg chicken thigh fillets
  • 3 potatoes peeled and chopped 
  • 4-5 birds eye chillies, de-seeded and halved lengthways
  • 400ml coconut milk
  • 1 tbs salt
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 100ml coconut cream
1) Toast the ground spices

2) To make the rempah, Slowy grind the shallots, dried chill, garlic, belachan, turmeric root together. Add the spices as well.

3) Heat oil in pot. Sizzle star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick. Add the rempah. Cook it till it smells wonderful and the oil seems to have separated.Add a little coconut milk to make into a gravy. 

4) Add chicken, potatoes and the rest of the coconut milk. Cover and simmer.

5) Taste and add seasoning. Slowly add in coconut cream. Then add the chopped birds eye chills. 


Happy Valentine's Day to everyone! xx 

I'm submitting my post to Aspiring Bakers #28: Chicken Feast (February 2013) hosted by SSB of Small Small Baker. I have always wanted to join in and this is my chance!!!!


Photobucket

11 comments:

missyblurkit said...

This is simple. The coconut used is not as much as I thought it would require. Looks like nyonya curry could be cooking in my kitchen after all:D

Joanne said...

For all the work it sounds like this is delicious!

tigerfish said...

Perfectly alright for me to have Thosai with curry! :D

Unknown said...

thank you for this recipe that I really like I would at home and I'm still waiting for new recettte
question voyance

The Sudden Cook said...

Thosai and curry are like the ultimate combo! 400ml is a bit too much coconut milk for me but then I can only imagine how good the curry tastes!

lena said...

hi daphne, totally fine with me having thosai with curry chicken!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Good for you to make it from scratch, I only use instant. :P

Small Small Baker said...

Hi Daphne,

Would like to invite you to submit this chicken dish to my Aspiring Bakers event, the theme for this month is chicken. :)

Check here
http://smallsmallbaker.blogspot.sg/2013/02/aspiring-bakers-28-chicken-feast-feb.html

Cheers,
SSB

Kitchen Belleicious said...

this looks absolutely delicious. Love curry chicken and I can;t believe you made that from scratch? WOW

Sovania said...

Everything is well designed your site and very nice with many choices, it is a wonder! Congratulations. friendly
voyance gratuite par mail

rosi said...

Really nice this site and it is more comprehensive and simple search. I thank you very much for relaxation .

voyance gratuitement
Voyance gratuite en ligne

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...