Wednesday, March 03, 2010

The classic- Chili Ricotta Meatballs with Spag!

My awwww moment with spaghetti must be watching Lady and The Tramp sharing a plate of spag together.


I mean how sweet is that? The innocence of it all!

While I rarely make meatballs- I find the whole rolling meat into balls, pan frying/baking, then cooking them again in tomato base sauce a little too time consuming, I do occasionally venture out of my  "quick quick chop chop" meals.

Especially if it is a very special occasion. It's Presto Pasta's BIRTHDAY! HAPPY 3 years Presto Pasta! This event was founded by Ruth. This week, the founder is hosting the birthday party and everyone is invited! 

So I rolled my sleeves and make my version of meat balls. Adding ricotta cheese gave it a rich texture without necessary adding too much saturated fat in it. I pan fry all meat balls without oil as well and reserve it on one side as I simmer my sauce. Great comfort food I say!



Chili Ricotta Meatballs with Spag!  (Serves 4)

Meatballs
1 tub of low fat ricotta cheese
400 grams of very lean heart smart beef mince
1 egg
1/4 cup of corn flour
1 chopped chili diced finely
1 cup of spiced bread crumbs ( used packaged but fresh will be better)
1-2 tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce 
1/2 red onion diced finely 
crack pepper

Pasta sauce
1 tin of chopped tomato
2-3 tsp of mixed herbs
2 fresh tomato chopped
1 small bunch of celery chopped
1-2 cups of sliced mushrooms 
2 carrots diced
1/2 red onion sliced or diced-whatever u like!
1 tablespoon of chopped garlic
1 chili chopped 

Wholemeal spaghetti cooked and drained.

Marinate meatballs the night before.

Roll meatballs. Heat a large pan and pan fry all meatballs. I use tongs to turn them over. Set aside on paper towels.

Meanwhile, in another pan, sizzle garlic, chili and onion with some olive oil. Cook all veges adding 1 cup of water if needed. Taste and adjust accordingly. Gently toss through meatballs and sauce.

Separate spag in each bowl. Top it with meatballs and sauce. Serve with some Parmesan cheese and cracked pepper!

7 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

What a perfectly, heavenly dish to share with Presto Pasta Nights. And thanks for the special effort. It's always wonderful when you get a chance to join the PPN party.

Thanks for all your awesome entries over the last three years.

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! Nothing can go wrong with this dish.

tigerfish said...

Meatballs and spag....classic!

Noob Cook said...

nothing beats home-made meatballs and yours look really good!

Babe_KL said...

hmmm my boiboi loves this!

Joanne said...

I rarely make meatballs either but I sure do love to eat them! This recipe looks great...I love the ricotta in them.

Katie Zeller said...

I love meatballs and make them all the time - but I always do it the easy way and just cook them in whatever sauce..... These sound delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...