Friday, September 16, 2011

Haloumi and Pea Fritters with Smoked Trout



 Happy Friday!!! Fridays are usually a funny day for me. I'm looking forward to the weekend, but somehow, slightly reluctant to cook. It's feels like "Yay! I should be able to enjoy and take time out to cook" but ended up with "hurry up! it's the weekend!"

Although I have to confess, sometimes, it feels like that through the week.

There are some Fridays, where I go real simple. Like plain grilled salmon with salad on the side. Or a grilled steak with some veges. All these doesn't take me more than a 15-20 mins to cook up.

But sometimes, I get bored. Flipping through Donna Hay magaines, I came across a recipe grating haloumi and using it as a base for fritters. It's pretty much savoury pancakes for dinner. Brilliant idea.

Best of all, less brain cells to kill with the thinking of "what's for dinner!"


Haloumi and Pea Fritters with Smoked Trout (enough for 4)

1 cup of plain flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 egg
1/2 cup of buttermilk
1/2 cup chopped dill
1 tsp of lemon rind
2.5 cups of frozen peas
120 grams grated haloumi
seasoning
250 grams of smoked trout
1 lebanese cucumber- using a peeler, peel thin slices.

Combine flour, baking powder, egg, buttermilk, dill, lemon rind, peas, haloumi and seasoning. Stir till well combined.

Heat pan with some oil. Cook 2 tablespoons at each time, 3-5 mins on each side. Place smoked trout and cucumber slices on top. Serve with some sour cream or attack if desire.

Photobucket

9 comments:

Smoky Wok (formerly Tastes of Home) said...

Love your delicious fritters! I can just imagine the crunch :D

Also wanted to let you know that I've changed the name of my blog from Tastes of Home to "Smoky Wok" and finally have my own custom domain!

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

something simple and tasty.

Anonymous said...

Looks delicious!

Kitchen Belleicious said...

Pea fritters. Now that sounds like fun and yummy comfort food. I am seeing alot of recipes with peas lately, my two favorites- your pea fritters and this cheesy pea dip spread. YUM!

lena said...

maybe you should make friday a non cooking day!i hardly cook during the weekend, i just do anything except cooking!! your dish sounds simple and yet looks scrumptious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Your dinner looks good.

Joanne said...

I rarely really WANT to cook on fridays either...but this sounds like the perfect FUN friday meal!

tigerfish said...

Fridays usually seem to elevate me to a happy mood too! Cos weekend is the only time I have excuse to take a break from the kitchen and not cook. However, usually when we dine out, it is often a disappointment - greasy, salty etc. and then I wish for a chance to cook again.

daphne said...

Taste of home- Congrats on the change of domain!!

threeforks- thanks!

Jessica- oh that makes me drool.

Ching- ;)

Joanne- yeah it was!

Tigerfish- it's so true!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...