Thursday, March 01, 2012

Walnut Cinnamon Muffins



Were you ever invited to a morning tea event? One that you have to bring something?

I usually start of being excited and having grand plans on what to make and bring. Maybe sausage rolls or a nice baked cake with caramel icing? Or perhaps a nonya kueh?

Often, my "grand plans" have to be mellowed down when I realised that I have to bake/cook at 9pm to bring it to work next day. Then, I decided that simple is good.

So Nigella Lawson calls this Baklava muffins. Upon making them though, I think they resemble more like walnut and cinnamon muffins! The special thing about these muffins is that it has a layer of gorgeous chopped walnut/cinnamon sugar in it. With the drizzle of warm honey on the top when you serve it.

I prefer serving it warm because the walnuts and sugar turned all gooey and sticky which is lovely. Once cold however, I found these muffins a tad dry for me. ;)

Nevertheless, I love how it looks when the wrapper comes off! Look at the layers!

Walnut Cinnamon Muffins (Nigella Lawson)

Filling and topping
1/2 cup of chopped walnuts
2-3 tablespoon of Demerara sugar
1.5 tsp cinnamon
2 tablespoon butter melted

Muffins
1 1/3 cup of plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/3 castor sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup yogurt and 1/3 milk/soy or plain


Topping
warm honey- around 2 tablespoon

Preheat oven to 200C. Line muffin tin with wrappers-around 10. In a small bowl mix the filling/topping ingredients together.

In a large bowl, mix flour, baking powder baking soda and sugar.

Meanwhile whisk egg, melted butter and yogurt/milk mixture. Make a well in dry ingredients and fold wet through dry.

Spoon batter in pan first, topped with some filling and batter again. Repeat for the rest of the muffins. Sprinkle remaining topping on muffins when done. Bake for 15-20 minutes.

When ready to serve, warm muffins up and honey. Drizzle honey over muffins.


Photobucket

7 comments:

Joyce @ Chunky Cooky said...

Lovely muffins ! Looks so moist and delicious too.

lena said...

i love it when you said that it turns gooey and sticky..finger licking good muffins!!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Love your muffins! I like that layer of cinnamon and walnuts.

Kitchen Belleicious said...

I love the flavor combination and how tall they are. So cute and perfect for breakfast or a snack!

tigerfish said...

I cannot imagine cooking/baking early in the morning (4am?5am?) for a 9am morning event! Good you made these at night.

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

nice to have it with a cup of tea or coffee.

Joanne said...

I would be SO happy if someone brought these into work with them! that walnut streusel in the center sounds amazing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...