Saturday, April 19, 2008

Peanut Butter Pistachio Choc Chip Cookies


Two of my favourite spreads are nutella and peanut butter. (A close third is kaya). When The peanut butter boy announced the first great peanut butter exhibition featuring cookies, how can I resist participating?

I remembered the first time I baked cookies. It was in my home economics class. I was 14 then. I believe those were butter cookies. Encouragingly, the boy sitting in front of me in class ate it all up (and didn't die of food poisoning). Total random note-10 years later, we realized that we had a crush on each other that time...and no! we didn't tell each other. Might explain why he decided to eat those cookies though-despite them being rock hard...

The 2nd time I baked cookies were flourless peanut butter ones. They were burnt (Lemongrass-yup.that was one of my baking disasters) . I refused to give up and tried another batch. Those turned out golden brown and had a beautiful crunch to it.

Fast forward 7 years later, I decided to combine three of my favourite ingredients. Peanut butter, pistachios and chocolate chips.
These cookies were crisp on the outside and slightly chewy on the inside. They were also flourless. I started with a tablespoon but these babies spread like wildfire so resist the temptation of rolling more than 1/2 a tablespoon of dough per cookie onto the tray. When they are done, be careful- They are very addictive. Oh! and I really enjoyed the wonderful peanut butter aroma lingering in the house after. Yum Yum.




Peanut Butter Pistachio Choc Chip Cookies (makes around 24 cookies)

Adapted from Bon Appetit magazine


1 cup super chunky peanut butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup of dark chocolate chips
1/4 cup pistachios shelled

Preheat oven to 180C. Mix first 5 ingredients in medium bowl. Mix in chocolate chips and pistachios. Using moistened hands, form 1/2 tablespoon of dough for each cookie into ball. Arrange on 2 lined baking trays, spacing 2 inches apart.

Bake cookies until puffed, golden on bottom and still soft to touch in center, about 12 minutes. Cool on sheets 5 minutes. Transfer to racks; cool completely.

These babies are going into


Check out The peanut butter boy's blog for more peanut butter inspiration. I can't wait to see what the other bloggers have baked for this event!

21 comments:

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Yikes Daphne, these look outstanding! Certainly a wonderful entry into the Peanut Butter Exhibition! With only 1/2 cup brown sugar, these are sweet enough? Personally, I don't like super-sickeningly-sweet cookies so they sound perfect for me. I may be making these next time I make cookies. Actually, I think I'm making cookies today!

- The Peanut Butter Boy

Unknown said...

Daphne,

These look so yummy! I love pistachios and never thought to combine them with peanut butter, but I bet it's a delicious cookie.

Rita Sella said...

wow.... !!... I love your gorgeous new look... I never put together pistachio and and peanut butter, thanks for great idea ^__^

SIG said...

Wow, I love peanut butter. And flourless too. Yum. They look very crispy.

Alexander said...

Wow! I love Pistachio and peanut butter. I bet this must taste really good. :)

Alexander
Alex's World! - http://www.kakinan.com/alex

Anonymous said...

Whoa, I'm so with you on Nutella and peanut butter. Now that you've done the peanut butter pistachio choc chip cookies, how about doing a worthy rival featuring Nutella?

Imagine the possibilities if we combined the two... *drools*

tigerfish said...

Love your cookie because it's got protruding choc chip! That means the choc chip is real and BIG!

Wandering Gourmet said...

Mmm that looks delicious! :)

Little Inbox said...

Hmm...yummy! Good luck ya! All the best!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Wow, hard to believe there is no flour in it! Looks yummy!

Big Boys Oven said...

this will be a good reading companion! will definitely wallop all!

Unknown said...

totally agree:
peanut butter and nutella = PERFECTION hehehehehe

sometimes i also add a slice of processed cheddar cheese in my sandwich hohoho

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

i was wondering for a second if u had used kaya!

JOjo said...

Lovely!Will try this recipe as i love peanut butter cookies from subway~

Retno Prihadana said...

Just want to pick them all :)

daphne said...

Nick- hey hey. Looking forward to your cookies! 1/2 cup of sugar is just right. Don't forget choc chips and peanut butter contains sugar too =)

e- thank you! I'm looking forward to yours as well =)

rita- I love how pistachio transformed these cookies! give it a go!

Singairishgirl-oh yeah! It is crispy! they way i like it!!

Alexender-and sinful too! haha.calorie ladden.

Kenny-I did!! hehe. Nutella cookies are great!

tigerfish- oh yeah! hehe

wandering- =) thanks!

little inbox- =) cheers!!!

little corner-and it's easy too! just mix! hehe

Big boys oven- your macacron r so much better. Actually try making a peanut butter version! it will be a hit. =)

mocha-now u r talking babe!

joe- kaya cookies huh.. hmmmm..

jojo- yeah! let me know how it goes.

retno-hehe..they are so addictive!

armand said...

These cookies smell yummy, and taste extremely delicious. Eat it with milo = bliss. I have to stop myself from finishing it all too early in the morning!!

The Peanut Butter Boy said...

Hmm, I made these this weekend and they didn't turn out =/. They didn't spread at all! The batter wasn't runny at all, they just stuck in the shape I put them in on the baking sheet. I think 12 minutes was too much for mine too, they came out pretty dry. Yours look so much better!

I think my chunky peanut butter has too many chunks, there needs to be more liquid/smoothness. I'll try it with creamy peanut butter next time. You sure you used chunky peanut butter for these?

- The Peanut Butter Boy

daphne said...

Hi nick! what a disappointment. I have sent u an email discussing it. =) Will edit the post soon! =)

test it comm said...

Those cookies look so good. What a great combo of ingredients!

Justin said...

hmm, interesting idea. sorry for the comment on a really old post, but i've never thought of baking with pistachios before.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...