Sunday, April 29, 2012

Moroccan Spiced Lamb Meatballs in Tangy Tomato Sauce





It's finally here. Autumn that is. Where the weather is cool and the breeze comes in. Autumn and Spring are probably my favourite seasons of the year. It isn't too warm but there is enough sun to get out there and seize the day.

As I am writing this, I'm recovering from a very sore left index finger. We had some friends over for a bbq and I sliced my finger while chopping spring onions! Since the bleeding didn't stop for 2 over hours, I went to the doctors who placed a pressure bandage on.




So with the bandage on, everything seems to operate a little slower. Like typing for instance and washing your hair. It may be one finger but it reminded me of how we tend to take little things like this for granted. It also forced me to slow down a little- like no boxing classes and scheduled our little break away. Sometimes, accidents remind us to take a breath before going again.

My disclaimer is that I rarely cut my fingers while cooking. I think it is a reflection of my internal exhaustion. In the mean time, I had a few days off with cooking with hubs taking over the reins. He turned around and said- indeed it's a lot of planning and prepping.

I'm on the road to recovery by the time you read this... and don't worry, I made these meatballs when my fingernail was still intact so no blood lost with this. It's a nice warm dinner on a cool night. Who says one cannot have salads with baked dishes?

The sauce keeps the meatballs moist and lovely. You can probably sauté the mince if you like and top it with the sauce, but I was looking for a less to wash dish. I didn't put cheese in mine but you could sprinkle some before baking it.


Moroccan Spiced Lamb Meatballs in Tangy Tomato Sauce (serves 4)
450 grams of lean lamb mince
1 red onion chopped
2 tsp of dukkah (spicy)
1 tablespoon of cumin
1 tsp of fennel seeds
1 tsp of chill powder
1 egg
pepper

Tomato Sauce
1 tinned chopped tomato
2 tablespoon of tomato paste
2 tablespoon of water or more if needed
squeeze of lemon
salt and pepper

Make lamb mince balls- just combine all ingredients. Roll into balls and place into over proof dish- it should make around 16 meatballs.

Sauce- combine all in a jar. Pour over meatballs and bake for 25-30 minutes.




Photobucket

7 comments:

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

2 hours non-stop bleeding, this is very serious cut! be more careful next time ya..
This sound like a quick and yummy one dish meal, yummy!

celine said...

take care my friend. :) xoxo

Woolly Mammoth said...

Ooh, sorry to hear about your injury, I feel your pain! Hope it heals soon xx

tigerfish said...

Oh gosh, sorry to hear about your finger. I agree with you. When I fracture my elbow and could not move the entire arm, I realized at that time how important is every part of the body. Take care.

lena said...

this gives your hubby an opportunity to show off his culinary skills and made him realise that cooking sometimes is not that easy as it sounds! haha!

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

My gosh! You must have been so scared! I hope your finger will heal fast and you can use it normally again. Look so painful. >_<

Your lamb meatballs look delicious! I like that you cooked with tomatoes. :-)

Noob Cook said...

oh dear, hope your finger is healing nicely by now. those meatballs look yum!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...