Thursday, July 18, 2013

Peanut Butter and Jelly Slice



When I'm standing in front of a counter of a cafe, trying to decide if I want a cake, slice, tart or cookie, my choices are often down to either a slice or a tart. For some odd reason, they seem to look more appealing. I glance at the pastry, and the filling and conclude that anything with different texture will make my money more worth it than a cake with a single flavour.

There is also something about a slice that makes it ok to have a small piece. Nothing says that about a cake. You just have to have a large slice right? Well, that's the deceiving factor of a slice- we usually have more than just a small bite.


I came across this peanut butter and jelly slice and know I just have to make it. Not many people can resist that combination- myself included. I did not grow up with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches though- being in an Asian household, sandwiches are more often made out of Kaya (coconut jam) or pork floss (dehydrated pork) with butter- kinda like a fairy bread except it's more savoury than sweet.  In fact, at one point, I was puzzled by why jam is called "jelly"- before I realised they meant the same thing in the context of a peanut butter and jam sandwich.

I was invited to a housewarming party and packed these little babies in a box with a  ribbon as part of our gift to the new home owner. It was sticky, warm and sweet- just what we need on a cold winter night.

Peanut Butter and Jam Slice (Source from Taste.com)
100 grams butter melted
1/3 brown sugar
1 cup of plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of strawberry jam
a tin of condensed milk (I used 97% fat free)
1/3 cup peanut butter with no sugar and salt
3/4 cup toasted peanuts

Preheat Oven to 180C and line a slice pan.

Make base- mix butter, brown sugar, plain flour and baking powder together. Press mixture into tin and bake for around 15 minutes till brown. Cool

Topping- mix condense milk, peanut butter and toasted peanuts together.

Spread strawberry jam/jelly on to the base. Then top it with the condense milk/peanut butter mixture. Return to oven and bake for further 30 mins. Slice, lick fingers and serve.


 photo MTWsignature_zpsaefba23f.png

6 comments:

CQUEK said...

Need to try yours soon.

Joanne said...

Can't ever go wrong with peanut butter and jelly!! Major yum.

Kalyan Panja said...

Just mouthwatering...looks delicious!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Oh yes, no one can resist that combination, looks delicious!

lena said...

hi daphne, i actually thought the jelly was sort of agar2, becos that's what we call over here..so jam is jelly and jelly is jam..hehe..you re right, a piece of cake is somehow bigger than a slice but these slices sounds great..probably you will tend to eat more that you should :D

Nami | Just One Cookbook said...

Would you believe if I say I've never tried PB & Jelly combo after living in the US for 16 years... :) I know, I should give that a try! I rather want to eat this over regular sandwich. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...