Thursday, August 31, 2006

Mid-week ramble

I have always liked Thursdays. The week seems shorter when Thursdays arrives. It has been quite a week- and I still have one more day to go before the weekend rolls by. The media is a friend to me lately, creating more awareness for my research Although the response is slow, it is trickering in. So far, I have been interviewed by 2 radio stations and 1 newspaper journalist with another newspaper journalist appointment tomorrow. Apparently, my research is good enough to be feature on a current affairs show in Australia but thankfully, my participant/s opted not to be on it so I rejected the offer.

While the media is a good friend, it is also a pain. I honestly do not believe it is worth my time and effort to prepare for a tv-interview. The anxiety of not mis leading the public, phrasing my sentences properly, sounding like I do know what I'm talking about takes too much time. With radio and newspaper interviews, it's pretty standard. They stick to the issue and press release. TV on the other hand, with their editing, the segment might mean differently bythe time the filming ends!

At the end of the day, probably less than a handful will participate and the media probably gets most of the credit instead of the research anyway. I'm happy to stick to radio interviews and newspaper articles for now. I did not enter psychology to be on TV.

Friday! Coffee evening after a hard day of work with Natalia. God bless her. She is my sanity in this placement. Sweet gal with a good perspective of life and work. Humble and hardworking. Pity she is in OT though. She should be doing psych! ;p

Sometimes, I feel out of place there. Everyone is very friendly and I'm fitting in well, but the UWA culture still stands out. Everything still looks too posh for me. ALTHOUGh of course, if they are so posh, why can't they purchase more computers? 2 computers to share of 3 clinical psychologists registers + 2 trainees + 1 OT student can be quite a challenge at times! Nah, I'm being mean. They are a very nice group of people. Very smart as well. I learnt lots of group dyanmics stuff. It's really really interesting leading a group-especially one that contains lots of people with personality disorders. I lead a stress management group last week and read relaxation script. 2 people fell asleep, with one snoring away. ;p oops.

Have a look at the cookies I baked last Sunday: Double Chocolate Chips Cookies.
















I'm on the lookout for good cookie recipes. In particular, those crumbly ones that they sell at cafes! How do they make them? If someone knows, please please please tell me!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...