Sunday, November 25, 2007

Almond Bread


Upon looking at my organizer, I realised that I will be away for a conference for the next 2 days, hence less blogging. =)

The weekend has been good. I stepped into a bridal studio for the first time and was awe by the beautiful gowns I was surrounded with. I didn't try on any of them though. Just look see.

Visited a possible venue for our lunch reception in Perth but was slightly disappointed by what they are offering. Fraser's Restaurant is well known for its location. It's situated right in the middle of Kings Park. Surprisingly, their prices are really reasonable (=cheaper than expected) but their function room looks....cramped with little water view. hmmm. What a pity.

We interviewed another photographer. So far so good, everyone that we spoke to offered us reasonable packages and know what we want but this lady gave us a "normal" feel compared to the previous guy we spoke to-that guy has a way with light. The lady also seemed a little more uptight about hours spent while the guy was more laid back.

hehe.Enough about wedding talk.

Straight to the sweet item.

I made creme caramel and was left with THREE egg whites. Flipping through my baking books, I came across this recipe and decided to give it a go. Afterall, there wasn't any butter involved so I figure out that it may be a healthier alternative.

The result...

it tasted like biscotti! hhaha. Maybe I did something wrong?

I do like this version better though. Somehow, it tasted lighter and crispier. I added some walnuts to it since I didn't have enough blanched almonds on hand and the combination worked well.

Almond Bread
125 grams Blanched almonds (I used a mixture of walnuts and almonds)
3 egg whites
1/4 cup of caster sugar
3/4 cup of plain flour

Preheat oven to 180C. Line bar tray with baking paper.

Toast almonds and walnuts for about 2-3 mins. Cool.

Meanwhile, place egg white in a clean dry bowl and beat till stiff peaks formed. Add sugar slowly, beating constantly till all the sugar has dissolved. Add sifted flour and almonds. Using a metal spoon, fold the ingredients together until combined. Spread into tin and bake for 25 mins. Cool completely in the tin.

Slice almond bread with a serrated knife. Bake for `5 mins, or until lightly golden and crisp.

Serve with your favorite coffee or tea!



I will be back on Wednesday!

14 comments:

Christo Gonzales said...

all the wedding planning sounds exciting and nerve wracking at the same time...so much to do so much to think about...

SIG said...

Wow, does look like biscotti. Maybe it was supposed to taste that way erm maybe it was almond 'crispy' bread? Hehe.

SIG said...

By the way Daph, how do you do the creme caramel? Was wondering what to do with all my leftover egg yolks.

Little Corner of Mine said...

It does looks like biscotti. I thought you were making biscotti when I saw the pictures.

Chef Jeena said...

Lovely almond bread. :)

Anonymous said...

How much does it cost for the wedding photographing package?

InspiredMumof2 said...

Ah your wedding plans, reminds me of my younger days :-) The photo shoot, the gowns, the hotel reception, the food, the photo package, all are very important. You will be slim and beautiful by the time the wedding date draws near (so much running around and calories lost);-)

This almond bread sure look simple to bake. Can see that it is crispy. Nice! ^o^

Big Boys Oven said...

oh looks so nice and crispy!

daphne said...

doggybloggy-haha. indeed! very exciting and busy. ;p


singairishgirl-actually, maybe u r right.. haha. I have seen almond bread before, I think it is cut very thinly but similar to biscotti? I will post the creme caramel recipe on Wednesday! It's really good by Donna Hay.

Jackson-*gives u one*

little corner- ya! but this one is abit thinner bah.. biscotti slightly thicker or maybe my cutting skills isn't even.

jeena-thank you.

celine- It depends. We only spoke to about 3 so far and it range from $900 to $4000 (and of course whether they want coffeebook album, proofs..etc). Depends on what the couple wants.. but we want pre-wedding photos + 3 hrs of reception so it should be towards the budget range bah..and this is only for australia..not talking abt SG or MY yet.

inspiredmumof2-hehehe.. You have to share with me about your wedding day!!! I would love to hear abt it. Ya! it's very simple and handy when u have leftover egg whites.

big boys oven- hehe..thanks! It's a great snack.

Retno Prihadana said...

Do you still have some?

Anonymous said...

It looks like biscotti as well!
Hmmm....I would eat it with coffee.

yammylicious said...

thxQ for sharing!! mmm~ goin to bake tis for xmas!! muaxx

Lady Gargle said...

Yummieeee! You have the best recipes Daph :)

By the way, you've been tagged by me :)

http://frankensteina.blogspot.com/2007/11/tag-tagging-tagged.html

daphne said...

retno- no more!

tigerfish-definitely! i had mine with coffee too.

yammlicious- haha.. u got to try and tell me how it went.

frakensteina- oops, i did the tag already! how?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...