Monday, December 13, 2010

Quick and Easy Thai Style Noodle Soup

In almost every household, there will be an emergency meal stash somewhere. Whether is it cup noodles,  packet of instant noodles, or even frozen meals, whatever that you could come up with a jiffy.




Most of the times,  I prepare a week in advance on what meals we are going to have- usually based around our schedules. But there will be moments of "due to unforeseen circumstances"  that I will be home really late-and plans fall apart. In those moments, it's either eat out or choose one of the above options.

It was only recently that I realised I usually have stock of noodles, and packets of chicken stock. Paired with some fish cake, veges and eggs- it is a meal by itself. Since then, I make sure that my freezer has some seafood fish cake and "crab" sticks (imitation crab of course made usually of fish and flour! why did they not call it fish sticks then?!). With some chili, fish sauce, soy and sugar, it gave a sweet, spicy and sour soup. Perfect for a chilly night.



Quick and Easy Thai Style Noodle Soup (Serves 2) 
1 ltre of chicken stock
3 cakes of noodles
assortment of fish cakes, fish balls, meat balls..etc
2 eggs
veges- whatever that is in the freezer!
2tsp of fish sauce
1/2 tsp of sugar
1 tsp of soy
chopped chili if available if not chili flakes or chili powder

Boil stock. Add sauces. Bring it to a simmer and add noodles and all the other ingredients. Boil for 3-5 minutes. Serve hot with a sprinkle of fried shallots.

9 comments:

June said...

what kind of noodle do you used ?

daphne said...

Hi June, I used cakes of instant noodles.

celine said...

Hi Daphne,

I really LOVE your new blog template. One of the best I have seen around, my opinion. Did you design it yourself? I keep coming back to look at it! :)

xoxo,
Celine

daphne said...

Hi Celine!!! I love it too! there are still bits and pieces to be done but I thought it was time for a change. Fortunately, I had the help of Polkadot pixels-scroll down and u will see her link at the bottom of the page.

celine said...

Off to Polkadot Pixels ........ :) xoxo

Little Inbox said...

I used to plan on Friday, and then go shopping on weekend, clean and store the ingredients on Sunday. :)

daphne said...

Little Inbox- yes!! Prior preparation can save so much time!

Little Corner of Mine said...

This is my way of lazy noodle too. Speaking of noodle, I haven't made anything new recently.

tigerfish said...

Me too! My kind of quick easy fix. Somehow, this also reminds of Chinese New Year hot pot :P

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...