Saturday, April 10, 2010

Coconut and Lychee Jelly

Evan and I have many common interests. One huge interest is on Donna Hay's photography and magazines. When Evan ordered some previous issues of Donna Hay's magazines to be delivered to our Perth add (much cheaper!), I asked if I could have a look through and generously, she said yes!

One recipe caught my attention straight away. It looks simple, refreshing and perfect for dessert. We were having friends over for lunch and this just seem to be a good one to finish a meal off with. Not too heavy but certainly appealing.

Evan and I agreed that the names of some Donna Hay dishes can be misleading- This one has Coconut in it but really.. it's just coconut milk!

The only thing I did differently was to cut up some lychee bits and added it to the jelly. What I really do like about this is that the layers separate by itself- making it looks visually appealing. Don't be surprise if you pour the mixture together and it looks mixed up-when it is in the fridge, those wondrous things called gravity and chemistry helps it to separate.



Coconut and Lychee Jelly
2 cups of Lychee Juice
3 tsp of powdered gelatine
4-5 lychee chopped
1/2 cup of caster sugar
1 cup of coconut milk

Place 1/4 cup of lychee juice in a bowl. Sprinkle over gelatine. Rest for 5 mins.
Place sugar, coconut milk and remaining lychee juice into saucepan and simmer till sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil for around 1 min. Remove from heat. Add the softened gelatine/lychee mixture and stir. Pour jelly into 9 inch dish and fridge it till it sets. Turn out and cut to serve.

Serve it with remaining lychees.

I'm the host for PRESTO PASTA  this week! 

Come join in the fun by sending me your pasta dishes. They will be up and posted by Perth time, Friday Evening. Drop me a line at daphnesu16(at)yahoo(dot)com 


9 comments:

petrina said...

yum! i love donna hay too - but sometimes the recipes don't really work ;o

Ling's Passion said...

I love Donna Hay, especially the pictures. Usually just browse thru them in the book shop ;-)

Little Inbox said...

The jelly is really refreshing. Best to take in hot days like now in Malaysia.

Little Corner of Mine said...

I love coconut milk in jelly! The thick white layer is really sinful and yummy.

Woolly Mammoth said...

This recipe looks great, think I'll be making it soon when it gets warmer here :)

Noob Cook said...

looks really nice! I love the tropical flavours of coconut (milk) and lychee. coincidentally, I just posted about jelly too ^^

Pei-Lin said...

Hey, you just made some jelly, too! It's a really guilt-free treat to have to drive the heat away on hot, hot days ... exactly what we're having here in Malaysia and Singapore!

Coconut & lychee sound like a wonderful combo! Never quite thought of that ... Must be delish and refreshing.

mr. pineapple man said...

my favorite fruit plus jelly! yum!!

daphne said...

petrina- i agree! some recipes just go wonky with her!

Ling- ya! the styling and photography makes me drool!

Little corner- ya but so yummy!

Wolly Mammoth- hehehe, thanks j!

noobcook- i know! great minds thinks alike

pei lin- =)

Mr pineapple man- glad u like it!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...