Monday, September 20, 2010

Lemon Tart

I usually shy away from making pastry because I perceived them to be difficult, tricky, time consuming and unpredictable. The last thing I want is to make a tart and for pastry to fall off, or a base that is hard enough to break a person's tooth. Ah... the power of my imagination.


It turns out that to make a sweet shortcrust pastry isn't that hard. A few blitz in the food processing, resting in the fridge and tadah, ready to be rolled into the pastry tin. I used Donna Hay-because that is my "if this is new, look at Donnay Hay Classics" mantra. I think the pastry turned out slightly crisp but I would have preferred it to be slightly more crumbly. I might give Women's Weekly a go next time as their ratios of butter and flour seems slightly different to me (more butter I think).

I do like the filling! Nothing like a good citrus refreshing kick. The original recipe does not call for lemon zest, but since I have this lemon that I have squeezed, why waste the zest? I reduced the sugar slightly and even used a new product by Philadelphia- a low fat cream!!



My colleagues polished most of the tart off and I took 2 slices for AR. I did bring some fruits to go along with the tart, and cream of course. Since I was bringing it for office morning tea, I didn't cut a slice before packing it...and now I think the photo of it looks too plain! Definitely did not justify now lovely this tart was.

Lemon Tart

Short Crust Pastry
2 cups plain flour
3 tablespoons caster sugar
150 cold butter chopped
2-3 tablespoons iced water

Process flour, sugar and butter in food processor till it resembles breadcrumbs. While motor is running, add iced water till dough is formed. Turn dough out. Knead lightly. Wrap in pastry wrap and refrigerate for 30 mins.

Once dough is ready. Roll out between 2 sheets of baking paper, till around 2-3mm thick. Line the tart tin. Blind bake it (by placing baking paper, filling it with rice or baking beads) in preheated 180C oven for 10 mins. Remove beads and bake for another 10 mins till golden. Spoon filling in and bake again.


Lemon Tart Filling
3/4 cup of lemon juice (I used 1 and 1/2 lemons) and zest of it
1/2 cup of caster sugar (Was 3/4)
3/4 of pouring cream- I used Philadelphia low fat cream
3 eggs lightly beaten

Place lemon juice and sugar in heatproof bowl over simmering water. Stir till sugar dissolved. Add cream and eggs. Stir continously for 5 mins or so. Pour into tart shell through strainner. Bake tart for further 20-25 (mine took 25 mins) till filling is set. Cool and serve with cream or ice-cream.

2 comments:

Noob Cook said...

I always thought that tart making is not making, your post is definitely very inspiring :D

Little Corner of Mine said...

Lovely lemon tart, I like the smooth filling.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...