Monday, September 03, 2012

Ginger Wine Chicken

Back in 2008, I made my first ginger chicken. Since then, I have been adapting and adjusting this recipe. It hasn't changed much, but I really like it with chicken thighs-maybe for its tenderness than drumsticks for some reason. The addition of spring onions is good too.


I "inherited" a clay pot when a friend of mine returned back to Singapore. What a gem I thought!! The use of a clay pot makes such a difference. It retain heat and adds a lovely flavour to this stew. Perfect for winter!

I used Stones ginger wine to make this dish. While it is not "authentic" in the sense of making the ginger wine by myself, it is a good compromise. The more I stewed this dish, the better it taste, but I cannot resist adding an additional dash of ginger wine before serving for a stronger taste.



The most funny thing was, back in 2008, I forgot the black fungus. guess what? I forgot it this round too!


Ginger Wine Chicken 
600 grams of chicken thigh diced
1 tablespoon of garlic
5 generous slices of ginger
1.5 cup of ginger wine
1 cup of chicken stock
small bunch of spring onions
10 chinese mushrooms hydrated and sliced
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of sesame oil

saute garlic and ginger. Brown chicken in claypot. Simmer in stock and wine for 20 minutes or so. Add in mushrooms at the 10 minute mark for it to absorb all the beautiful flavours. Season with salt and sesame oil. Toss in spring onions at the last minute. If you like, add a dash of ginger wine before serving and a little drizzle of more sesame oil.




Photobucket

10 comments:

Little Inbox said...

Hello, I'm back, hehe...
This is a nice oriental dish.
I don't have ginger wine, so I use ginger slices and Chinese cooking wine as the substitute. LOL!

Little Corner of Mine said...

Yummy! I heard about using this ginger wine to cook the chicken too. My friend used this during her confinement.

WokandSpoon said...

I think I need a claypot! My kind of dish....err...though I don't eat chicken! I'll use tofu instead :-)

MaryMoh said...

Love your soup...absolutely. I love ginger wine. It's so good in chicken. I always use the Stones's brand too.
MaryMoh at http://www.keeplearningkeepsmiling.com

tigerfish said...

The use of ginger wine seems very interesting! This dish surely warms the body in winter.

lena said...

oh, love this ginger wine chicken very much and in fact, i was just checking with my mum 2 weeks ago how to make this cos i sort of forgotten what to put in :)

Kitchen Belleicious said...

i have never heard of ginger wine! I need to get me some. I can think of so many dishes to use it in. this chicken looks amazing! I bet it smells even better

Sonia ~ Nasi Lemak Lover said...

oh, this is good, especially to get away wind from our body!

rosi said...

Ce blog est merveilleux, merci de nous proposer. Content de voir de nouveaux projets ! Je vous souhaite beaucoup de réussite .

Voyance gratuite par mail

Joanne said...

I've never heard of ginger wine but it does sound like a great cooking tool! Delicious dish!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...