Monday, May 17, 2010

Chili Garlic Squid Fettuccine with Pinenuts

So we have been in a seafood mood lately. One has to venture away from mince sometimes! I remembered learning how to score squid when I was about 17 years old. An aunt of a housemate invited us over for dinner (She is such a brilliant cook!). As you do, I offered to help and standing in the kitchen, she gave me tips on choosing calamari, cleaning them and of course cutting them into good sized pieces.

I love seeing squid sizzle and curl into a nice shape. I kept this really simple. Marinating the squid with some lemon juice, salt and pepper.I grilled it quickly and then toss the the squid + veges with pasta. Dash of olive oil and sprinkle of pine nuts, dinner was served.



Chili Garlic Squid Fettuccine with Pinenuts 
250 grams of fresh fettuccine (Cooked to packet directions, keep warm in a bowl)

4 squid tubes cleaned and score diamond crosses
1 tsp of chopped garlic
tsp of chopped chili 
1/2 lemon juice
pepper and salt

1 bowl of chopped mushroms
1 zucchini grated/shredded and water squeezed out from it.

1/4 cup of pine nuts toasted
Parmesan cheese to serve if you like it

Heat grill pan to very hot. Quickly toss squid through till cooked. In the same pan, add the veges for 30 seconds. Pour veges and squid into bowl of noodles. Tossing it through with some extra virgin olive oil. Sprinkle pinenuts and cheese to serve.

Dishing pasta love to friends at Presto Pasta founded by Ruth. This week, it is hosted by Susan from the Well Seasoned Cook! I am so getting into the stringly ball game!

6 comments:

Ruth Daniels said...

Lucky you to get such great lessons on how to prepare calamari.

Thanks for sharing that and this great recipe with Presto Pasta Nights.

Little Inbox said...

Free cooking lesson ya? Hehe...

tigerfish said...

I got away from mince too and cook something seafood :)

I have not score a squid before and till today, it still "scares" me....

Susan said...

You are brave, Daphne. Cleaning squid is not for the squeamish.

Thanks for your lovely Italian-style dish for PPN. Pine nuts and garlic always get my attention.

Little Corner of Mine said...

What a great idea to use squid in your fettuccine.

Claudia said...

Your squid look very tasty. Unfortunately, they are on the list (a long one) of things my husband won't eat, so I get to order them when we go out. One of our local restaurants does a wonderful coconut crusted calamari appetizer.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...