Monday, December 06, 2010

Toblerone Cheese Cake

My cheese cake experience is far from perfect. I had my fair share of sunken, cracked ( i hide it with chocolate)  and ugly  baked cheesecakes. In fact, the only cheesecake that I was successful was the Jap Souffle Cheesecake, which has a slightly different methodology than the usual New York or store bought cheesecake recipes. 




This cheesecake was made for a friend's birthday. Having spot this recipe in Janelle Bloom's Fab food for Family and Friends, I couldn't resist trying it out. I have used Janelle's recipes many times before and nearly always it is a success. Long before Nigella Lawson or Jamie Oliver, Janelle's recipes was what I tried because she was a frequent contribute to Food Ideas Magazine which I bought regularly when I first arrived in Australia.

I was pleasantly surprised when I saw how easy this cheesecake was. More importantly, she features mascarpone cheese as a frosting- to cover any cracks and sunken mistakes I thought!!

Thankfully (with heaps of positive self talk), I didn't need to cover anything at all. The cheesecake came out perfect. My first perfect baked cheesecake without flaws. Ahhhhh...




Toblerone Cheesecake (serves 8-10) 
750 cream cheese softened (I used 500 grams of 70% fat free cream cheese and 250 grams of 5% fat cream cheese).
3/4 cup of caster sugar (original called for 1 cup)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 eggs room temp
2 tablespoon of plain flour
300 ml sour cream (I used weight watchers)
2 x 100 grams toblerone choc broken into pieces
250 grams mascarpone cheese
cocoa powder to dust
chocolate flakes for decorations

150g Nice biscuits
100 grams butter melted


Preheat Oven 180C no fan. Grease and line base and side of spring form pan (23cm) with baking paper.

Base- Break biscuits and place in food processor. Process till fine. Add butter till combined. Using a large metal spoon press mixture into base of cake tin. Refrigerate till firm.

Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese, sugar and vanilla till combined. Add eggs. Sitr in flour. Fold in sour cream.


Pour cream cheese mixture over base. Top with toblerone. Press them in (it will burn if exposed). Place pan into baking tray and bake for 1hr 30 mins till set. Turn it off and leave cake pan in oven till completely cool (I left it overnight as I baked it in the evening). Refridgerate till chilled.

Spread top with mascarpone cheese and dust with cocoa powder and chocolate flakes.

5 comments:

"Joe" who is constantly craving said...

this actually sounds easy enough for me to try! fingers crossed if i ever make this.

Simplyfood said...

OMG this cheese cake looks like heaven.I am definately going to book mark and try it.
My 1st visit here ,you have awonderful space.Do drop by simply.food some time.

Adeline said...

OMG!!! This looks real good!!! Let's find a day for me to "test bake" it.... =)

*Yes! I'm back blogging with a new blog site... =P

Little Corner of Mine said...

Congrats on your first perfectly baked cheese cake. I have yet to bake any cheese cake all but I am going to try one soon.

tigerfish said...

The only cheesecake I have "baked" is the non-baked version. LOL

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...